Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

irian jaya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: irian jaya Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone been to jayapura?

If so can u plese give me some advice how it is like there? Where is the best place to be? Costs? Safety?

There is Baliem Valley festival held annually around mid-august, has anyone experienced this?

Any info., ideas, suggestions appreciated .

Thankx for ur time.
guruengerish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: West Papua Reply with quote

Hi. I flew over to Jayapura for my holidays from PNG some years back. It was a welcome relief to be able to go out at night and do some shopping in the pasar malam.

However, there is a huge problem with Javanese and other transmigrants who are looking for a quick buck, and they are not too subtle about how they get it. Even high school kids try to pick you up, and get a big surprise if they discover you speak Indonesian.

Spiking drinks was common, and one PNG friend of mine was drugged and lost everything. Be very wary.

As a foreigner, I was followed most days by plain clothes cops who looked like they came out of a Peter Sellars film. Old work clothes and brightly polished boots. I wasn't being paranoid - the locals warned me.

It's not the cultural centre of Indonesia by any means, but maybe getting out of town and following the beaten route to the Asmat tribes might be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: