Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coming to Alexandria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egyptbound

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: coming to Alexandria Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have been reading this forum with interest and have found some useful info on Egypt in general. I'll be moving to Alexandria in September to work in an international school. I'm just wondering if there is a decent social life for a single guy and clubs/gyms around to keep me busy? It would be nice to meet fellow ex-pats (I'm Irish) although I also want to involve myself in the Egyptian culture as much as possible, that's the main reason I'm going there! I know Skehmet has mentioned that you have to go looking for the ex-pat scene, are there regular haunts where people hang out? Many other teachers out there? Thanks for your help.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of stuff you can do here, and you should be able to meet other ex-pats fairly easily if you're working at an international school. Which one is it, if you don't mind me asking?
There's are lots of gyms and sporting clubs, although the kind of scene that most of us westerners are used to doesn't really exist here! But there are loads of places to hang out and have fun (although these are mostly malls!!)
I can't really think of any specific ex-pat hangouts, but the best bet might actually be to go looking around the few bars in the city on a Thursday night - you're sure to meet someone!! Anyway, like I said - there are going to be ex-pats at your school, and they'll know other ex-pats, so I'm sure it'll be fine!
Zaphirelee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: I'm also on my way to Alexandria Reply with quote

I'll be coming to Alexandria in September too. With five million people, I am pretty sure we can find things to do.
egyptbound

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Sekhmet. I'm sure you're right and other expats will be able to point me in the right direction. I lived in Korea and Spain for three years and that's always the way it started out. I'm really looking forward to getting out there and make the most of the opportunity to travel around. I'll be getting the same holidays as English schools, half terms etc.. and was wondering if you know any good short excursions out of Alex? I'll be working in the IBSA. Maybe see you (and zapphire) in September! Cheers
omar_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Alex try mamoora and muntazah. You need to get out of Alexanria though also for a better time. Try Marina and Sharm Sheikh.
eyda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Expat hangouts in Alex Reply with quote

Many singles tend to meet at the Portuguese Club, on the street behind the 'fruit stand on Horreya' in Roushdi. (Trust me, this type of direction will become crystal clear soon). Don't know what they're charging for membership now, but it's minimal.

The other place is The Sporting Club; apparently good if you like golf, but the pool may be filled with your students. There's also the Country Club, much quieter, out near the Hilton Green Plaza, on the way to Carrefour. Someone'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Alex's expat community is minute now, but it's really a nice place, ONCE YOU GET OVER THE CULTURE SHOCK!

Enjoy! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: