Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exploring TEFL options in Cairo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Exploring TEFL options in Cairo Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sorry if this sort of question has already been answered a thousand times, but I was hoping I might be able to get some advice from people who are teaching in Cairo, or have taught in the past.

Basically, I'm planning to get a CELTA through International House San Diego in October, save up some money through temp jobs (so I have a bit of a cusion), and head to Cairo in January. What maybe makes my situation unique is that I have the apartment situation taken care of, since a friend already has one lined up, and it'll only end up costing me about $100 per month. I think it's in Agouza...

How should I handle the job searching situation? Will International House likely find me a job before I leave, or should I just assume that I'll find something once I get there? I'm 23, have a BA in social science, and no teaching experience (but I'll have the CELTA). I would prefer to teach adults, as I've heard that it's almost futile trying to teach kids in Egypt. Though it would be nice to save a little bit of money, I'm really just concerned with supporting myself, liking my job, and having time to work on my Arabic.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that IH will guarantee you a job. I would at least spend the time between now and January getting some more experience... even volunteering in adult ed if you can't get any teaching job.

Certainly no promise, but with your housing so cheap... and buy a round trip ticket with an open return so that you can get back home if you need to. You should be able to pick up some part time language school work... and eventually some private lessons. Agouza is a good location...

Give a try... you can always go back home if it doesn't work out...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: