Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

180 day Tourist Visa!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romo33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: 180 day Tourist Visa!! Reply with quote

I have a friend who has been staying in Mexico for a little over 6 months. They are now leaving back to the U.S. but their 180 tourist visa has expired by a few weeks. What will happen when he tries to fly out? Just a monetary fine, or is it going to be a bigger problem? I thought somone on this board might have a helpful answer! Thanks.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably nothing. He can just say he lost it. The airlines are not immigration agents--they really don't care.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 180 day Tourist Visa!! Reply with quote

romo33 wrote:
I have a friend who has been staying in Mexico for a little over 6 months. They are now leaving back to the U.S. but their 180 tourist visa has expired by a few weeks. What will happen when he tries to fly out?

So, what happened?
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Visas Reply with quote

Who knows? Maybe the original poster was the friend and he is now in jail? If you lose the little paper, the least you get to pay is the 200 peso fee you are supposed to pay on entry(your FMT is proof you paid it). Others? Who knows?
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utter nonsense. There is no 200 peso fee to enter Mexico--only to extend the tourist visa to 180 days if it was issued for fewer. The airlines take your tourist visa when you fly out--not immigration agents.
ls650

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Visas Reply with quote

Gringo Greg wrote:
Who knows? Maybe the original poster was the friend and he is now in jail?

C'mon. They aren't going to throw you in jail because you lost your card; the worst that would happen is that you'll be fined.

I've heard of folks losing the tourist card and paying a fine, but most of the time the immigration folks just shrug and let you go.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Cost of tourist visas Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Utter nonsense. There is no 200 peso fee to enter Mexico--only to extend the tourist visa to 180 days if it was issued for fewer. The airlines take your tourist visa when you fly out--not immigration agents.

Whenever I flew into Mexico on a tourist visa, there was an extra charge added to my airfare to cover the cost of the tourist visa.

Quote:
Mexican Tourist Visa Information
To bring you up to date on tourist visas, the Mexican immigration service advises about minor changes in their issuing for the purpose of entering Mexico.

Tourist visas cost US$17 or the peso equivalent. For those entering Mexico by plane, the cost of the tourist visa is charged to the plane ticket. The maximum time for a tourist to remain in Mexico is 180 days and this visa cannot be extended beyond that time.

Often, when entering the country at the northern or southern borders, immigration officials may state the visa is good only for a shorter period of time. If the visitor wishes to remain longer than the changed visa allows, it can be extended up to and including 180 days at the nearest state immigration office.
http://www.infosma.com/newexciting/visa.htm

Granted, I haven't flown into or out of Mexico on a tourist visa for years, so I'm not speaking from current personal experience here. When I leave and return on international flights at the Merida airport, it's immigration, not Continental, that stamps my work visa.
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I am not currently working in Mexico, I have entered as a tourist and flown out twice in the last month. No charge was added to my ticket for a visa (how would they know whether or not I still had an FM-3?) and both times I flew out the tourist visa was collected by the airlines when I checked in.
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my little old international airport, if you turn up to check-in counters without your tourist card, the airline will send you straight upstairs to the Immigration office to get a new card and pay the current fee. Excuses may be made at that time. Fines can be levied if you are on an expired card. If you have lost your card it seems they simply charge the original required fee. You are not permitted to fly internationally without turning in the tourist card to the airline. Been there, done that.

Travel agents abroad, at least in Canada and the USA, collect the Immigration fee when they sell you the ticket. It is hidden in your taxes. This is long standing issue with FM3 holders, since they should not be required to pay this. I have heard talk of efforts to try to get reimbursement of this Immigration fee, but no success stories to date. Getting any kind of reimbursement via the airlines is a monumental project in itself.
Flo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utter nonsense? Lets get it straight already. There is a 220 pesos fee in Mexico for a tourist visa. President Fox was recently disappointed by the decline in tourism from North American and the fee has been doubled...expect to pay 440 in the future.

When you fly into Mexico, the 220 pesos is included in the price you pay for your airline ticket. When you arrive at the border by car, etc. you pay the fee at the bank located next to the immigration office.
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exacto Flo! I just saw someone off at the airport an hour ago where she was scheduled to be on the America West flight which turned out to be severely delayed. America West kindly hunted her down in the waiting area and advised her to return to the counter where they made arrangements to reroute her northward on the Alaska Airlines flight in order that she could meet her connecting flight in LAX onward to Canada tonight. I watched closely what was done with her tourist card at the airline counters. It was carefully unstapled from the airline copy of the first boarding pass at the America West counter, returned to her and then diligently stapled to the new Alaska Air boarding pass, to be taken into possession of the gate agents as she boarded the airplane. Incidentally there was a sign right at the entrance of the line to the airline counters reminding passengers to have their tourist cards ready along with the passports, etc.

P.S. When is the new rate coming into effect?
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. You are calling me a liar.

Glad to know there are such experts on this forum--wait till you have lived in Mexico 13 years and someone calls YOU a liar....
PlayadelSoul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the price of the tourist visa is included in the ticket. Then, if you want to renew it, you go to immigration and pay again. I have an FM2, but I have to pay the extra cost on my ticket every time I travel. I suppose I could ask for a refund.
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
I see. You are calling me a liar.

Actually, I don't think you were accused of being a 'liar', but merely of being incorrect.
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very useful thread. Like Moonraven, I was unaware that you have to pay a fee for your tourist card, since it is just included in the price of your airplane ticket. I have been traveling to and from Mexico since 1966; I wonder if in the early days of my travels south of the border, the tourist card was free. Does anyone know know if this was the case back then?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: