Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salam Aliekum! Any suggestions for hiring schools in Oman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttsadubois

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Salam Aliekum! Any suggestions for hiring schools in Oman? Reply with quote

Hi I have I guess the basic qualifications (B.A.,Intermediate Arabic, and have taught for 6 months in Turkey, TESOL and lots of private students) but I seem to have a hard time getting any offers. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sarah
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Lack of offers Reply with quote

I'm not surprised given your lack of experience. Look at what employers require in their recruitment ads.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Gulf jobs require an MA and a few years of teaching experience. There are places that will accept a BA plus a CELTA or other legitimate TEFL/TESL certificates along with good related experience.

I suggest that you get a CELTA and work a few years in Turkey. Another option would be to go to Egypt. Many people get their certification there. Check out the messages on the Egypt branch.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ın the classroom ıs the mınımum İ would be lookıng for. And I would want some exprıenc ın the Mıddle East. Turkey does not count !
ttsadubois

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: I am working in Oman now. Reply with quote

I live in a Beach town called Sohar. It is about an hour from UAE. So far so good, it is super conservative though. All the women are in black and men in the traditional dishdasha. About half the population is Indian and they treated as 2nd class citizens with people ordering them around like they are sub-human. This phenomenon does exist in many countries. Prices are cheap compared to American standards but the quality is lower, much is imported from India. There is some Japanese are Korean goods that are pretty good quality but they tend to be a little pricey. Cars are also more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: