Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the best place to teach English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattyk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Where is the best place to teach English? Reply with quote

Hi,

Silly question I know but I would love some feedback.

I will have completed my TESOL course by mid August and wish to teach abroad. I have done quite alot of research into where I can and can't teach. It seems that with a few exceptions ( no degree ) that I can teach pretty much anywhere in the world. I am 32 years old and have run an events company in London for the past eight years. Very stressfull, incredibly long hours, ultimately quite rewarding but have decided its time for a change. Have thoroughly enjoyed living in London but need a new challenge. My ideal scenario would be beautiful location, preferably a small town, nice students, good standard of living, opportunity to learn Spanish. I know this all seems a little ambitious for a first job but I am 100% committed and would dearly love some advice. What do you think ?
ls650

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to teach English? Reply with quote

mattyk wrote:
I will have completed my TESOL course by mid August and wish to teach abroad. I have done quite alot of research into where I can and can't teach. My ideal scenario would be beautiful location, preferably a small town, nice students, good standard of living, opportunity to learn Spanish.

I'm afraid your question is just so open that it's going to be hard to answer. Confused
Have you looked through the 'Journals' section to see if any of the countries discussed there appeal to you for some reason?
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Where to teach English Reply with quote

I suggest you list your criteria in order of priority.
If learning Spanish is high on the list then Spain's the obvious destination. The problem is that most of the work is where you find most people, ie in Madrid - hardly a small town, not very quiet (Spanish people are loud!) and, like most big cities, rather polluted. In addition, finding accommodation here can be a nightmare if you don't have any contacts. Having said that, you can make good money here.
Who are you doing your TESOL with? Is it a language academy that has schools in Spain? If so, ask them if they have any vacancies.
Long hours are often part and parcel of teaching English. I frequently spend 14 hours a day out of the house but only work 8. It depends on who you work for.
And of course that old chestnut, the EU passport. Are you from the UK or just living and working there? If it's the latter, and you don't have an EU passport, you'll have a problem working legally here.
Look through the various tefl websites to get an idea of what's on offer.
Spain, like any country, is what you make of it. I've enjoyed my time here.
Good luck, and feel free to email me direct if you have any specific questions.
Graham.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: where is the best place to teach? Reply with quote

in your dreams sonno as this aint no place for reality...you'll end up destitute or in the middle east................god forbid
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and wish to teach abroad.

"Abroad" is big place. Razz

Try to narrow the choice with a few priorities.
It helps with the decision making process Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: