Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Care Safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TawtViet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Medical Care Safety Reply with quote

I have been thinking quite awhile about coming to Thailand when suddenly I find I may have developed some diabetes. This is all new to me and I am to trying my best to eat right, exercise, etc. I only have some symptoms and haven't had a full check by a doctor. If I really have to go on insulin and other care would I have the resources to take care of myself well in Thailand?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Absolutely no problem.

Luckily I haven't needed a doctor since arriving in Thailand 18 months ago,

but my friends tell me that the doctors & clinics here are very good.

And there's no shortage of pharmacies either, with lots of little corner drug stores

where the pharmacist gets to know you personally -

what you need, how much, how often you need it, etc.

Generic and brand-name medications are widely available

and practically all medications (including antibiotics) are available

without a prescription.

Here's a decent list of the major hospitals in Bangkok:

http://www.click4apartment.com/bkk_hospitals.asp
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expats living throughout Asia (south, southeast, and even east) frequently come to Thailand because of the excellence of the medical care. It's just about the best.
tedkarma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is quite good quality medical care in Thailand. But, there is also some pretty poor care. Even the good care though, will cost you only a fraction of what you might pay in a western country.

For anything serious I go to Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospitals - otherwise, I stay local with Bangkok-Phuket Hospital (on Phuket).

Henry is right - particularly at Bumrungrad - you'll see Arabs, Japanese, Indians - all in search of good care.

I have a page on Medical Care in Phuket that has links to the above mentioned hospitals at: http://phuketdelight.com/medical.htm

You'll also find medicine much cheaper - with some Thai generics super cheap.

Don't worry about it - you'll probably get better care here than there. Also the active life here and all the walking instead of driving - will get you in shape and put the bosh on the diabetes. (Okay, so I don't know ANYTHING about medicine . . .) Shocked
TawtViet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Lost fear of leaving Japan Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that is great news. I am going a little crazy in Japan and really want to experience the land of smiles. I do feel so secure in Japan in regards to the (developed country's) medical care available. I have had quite a fear come over me with my somewhat of a health crisis but you took away my fear of venturing out.
joe beets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe beets, from another thread about a month or so ago wrote:
I am a diabetic in Thailand. I know several others, Thai and westerner alike. The doctors are almost without exception well versed on the subject, as many have had some training in the west, and as a bonus they can also keep up with your English. Glucophage is plentiful and cheap.

I do have to be more watchful than the average guy in what I eat, as Thais like to put sugar in nearly everything. On top of that, the staple of the Thai diet is rice, which has a relatively high glycemic intake value. Still, it's doable, and I don't feel all that deprived of variety.

Exercize presents additional challenges, as it's so #&%ing hot all the time, but where there's a will there's a way.

If Thailand was on your list, diabetes is no reason to cross it off.

jb

I thought that went pretty well.

Oh yeah, see a doctor. What are you waiting for? A cure? The sooner you start treating it the better.
Good luck.

jb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: