Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Needed on Certification Courses in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emlaminack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Advice Needed on Certification Courses in London Reply with quote

Hello. I am looking into certification programs in London and wonder if anyone has any advice. The programs am gravitating towards are: Elite College�s CELTA Certification (though I would also like to become certified to teach children or teenagers), Crest Schools of English - CELTS Certification for Adults and Teenagers and the Windsor School Trinity TEFL Certification. I also ran across a TEFL certification program offered by Traveling Teachers but can�t seem to find their official web site so I�m not sure of their validity. Does anyone know anything about these various programs? Are there other programs you would recommend?

I am a U.S. citizen and have a B.A. in French Language. I have taught French to both children and Adults and taught English with Berlitz Language Centers, one-to-one with adults learners. I don�t currently have any teaching certifications so would like to find an appropriate 4 week course. I appreciate all your help and assistance as I continue with my research.

Best,
Evelyn
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any course which is Cambridge (CELTA) or Trinity (Cert.TESOL) accredited is ok. The courses themselves won't vary that much as they all have to adhere to certain guidelines and rules as set out by the external examinating body. If the course is not Cambridge or Trinity accredited, don't bother doing it, no matter what the institution offering it claims. Yes, it may be an identical course but unless it's externally validated by either of these two institutions, you will have trouble finding work in the future.

Both the CELTA and Trinity are courses which focus on teaching adults but will teach basic teaching principles which apply to all age groups. There is a course run by Cambridge called the CELTYL (YL being Young Learners) but generally those who take this already have the CELTA and some teaching experience.

From the courses you mention, Windsor has a decent enough reputation, though I have never heard of Elite. As for the other course the "Celts"- don't bother. I'll stress again that it's really important to do a Cambridge or a Trinity accredited course or you may find that the whole thing was one big waste of money.
emlaminack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steven!

Your post was of great help in my research. Do you know if many Americans attend courses in England, or if the majority of trainees are British? I'm assuming the curriculum will focus on British English rather than American English. Hmm, guess I might have to review that British spelling I learned (learnt) years ago when attending United World College (a British school) in Singpaore. Wink

Have you ever heard of Crest Schools of English? (They also offer the CELTA certificaion - I appologize for the previous typo).

Thanks again for all your help.

Evelyn
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The course participants will be mainly British though I have come across a fair few Americans and Canadians who did the course in the UK, not to mention a few Aussies. As British English isn't all that different to the English you use in your country, I am sure you won't find the course any more demanding than your average Brit trainee. In any case, the course will focus on how to teach the language, rather than what the language is so although you will look at grammar and vocabulary, it will mainly be in the context of approaches to teaching it, rather than the grammar of vocab itself.

As for the schools- if they offer Trinity or Cambridge certs then they'll all be very similar.
emlaminack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Your advice is most helpful.

So, what is your role in all this? Are you an ESL teacher there in the UK?

Evelyn
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but he's well bloody knowledgeable for a footballer...
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tar us all with the "thickie" brush, Sheepie- I read The Guardian, you know.....

Anyway, I'm not an EFL teacher in the UK (what a miserable existence that would be) but am currently enjoying the delights of big, bad Moscow town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: