Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Edgewood Institute of Languages REAL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetpea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Is Edgewood Institute of Languages REAL? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this place? I just got an incredible offer from them, but it somehow doesn't ring 'true'. $4800 per month... 4 hours per day every 4 days. 3 bedroom flat and flight reimbursement Very Happy IF I USE A TRAVEL AGENT IN THE UK. (ONE OF THEIR TRAVEL AGENTS.... red flag, perhaps?) Now, it seems a bit odd to me, but since I haven't looked at any of the forums on South Africa, I wasn't sure if this is customary, or not. Please advise. (I am not necessarily interested in the offer -- but, might be persuaded IF it is legit.)

By the way, my ad says I am interested in Thailand/Taiwan/S. Korea, so this email came out of the blue. Confused

Thanks.
jammy38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess you should be pretty careful.from all indications its not real .please watch that offer,even korea and taiwan dont pay that much.its probably scam.be careful.
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becareful sounds like a scam.

But dont totally dismiss it, rather follow up and have them send you information were you can verify the legitimacy of the school and offer. i.e., What is their business liscence? Any references, web pages, Check their Chamber of commerce etc.

And if by chance this is a "Golden" deal then atleast you did your homework and if not, at best, you have not been taken in and you can expose them if you like here on Daves! Very Happy

GoodLuck
Michael
bnc1978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: edgewood institute of languages Reply with quote

I have recevied the same offer, after responding to a fairly vague advert on the www.tesall.com website. I am checking this out and hopefully will be able to tell you all about it from Johannesburg!!!!

in all seriousness it does sound a little too good to be true. (and you know what my mother always said about that!!!!).

will keep you posted.
bnc1978

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Edgewood INstitute Reply with quote

Sweet Pea,

I have done some checking. THe majority of the airfare tickets are paid for by the school (a small booking fee is to be paid by the teacher). Please note that this is not an endorsement of the school, however, I have been able to locate some literature which indicates that they school is known and seems to be legit.

Obviously, more checking is required, however, if the school is going to pay for most of the tickets, then the risk is really minimalised.

Will keep you updated as things develop. (i have some feelers out with the local industry, etc).
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
BNC1978
bnc1978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: edgewood Institute of Language - Johannesburg Reply with quote

Hi again,

After a lot of emailing, questioning and quizzing, i am only a little closer to an understanding of what the above is all aobut,. I have nothing conclusive yet, however, i have ben provdied with three (3) current and former teacher contacts and a physical address for the school.

Given the above, i have zipped of a whole bunch of requests to independent authorities to ascertain whether a schoool does exist at the address provdied.

I have also asked about booking the tickets through a specified agency. this is mainly done, I understand, for reimbursement purposes. I do concede the point that this seems a little shady, as does the funds being offered, however, it is important to remember that, unlike Korea, a lot of the funds being offered will be for the danger factor.

I will keep you further updated as to my progress here,.

BNC1978
bnc1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again,

After much probing, prodding and reviewing, i have finally formed the view that this school may not be legitimate.

I have spent a considerable amount of time looking in to this matter and can say with some certainty that were i trying to hide a school, this would be the best way in which to do so. There is no website and no phone, and a booking office and a recruitment office in the UK??

I note that the teacher contacts have taken a lot of time to respond, and in one particular case, for a college graduate, has particularly poor english skills.

This notwithstanding, I have elected to pass on this offer, however, i sincerly hope that i am wrong and that someone else gains the benefit. If you happen to be this person, please drop me a line to tell me how wrong i am!! I will gladly hear from you.

<<<TO ALL TEACHERS>>> Be wary when speaking to any school and if you are asked to send the school any money, rethink the proposal that is in front of you. As my mother always said,..........
"if it looks too good to be true, it usually is....."

Good luck everyone.

BNC1978
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a scam.
sweetpea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Bnc, I wasn't notified that you had responded more than once to my post. Sheesh!!! you went to a lot of effort to check this 'school' out. thank you! Needless to say, however, I passed and figured it was a scam and didn't bother to follow up. You have wonderful research skills and patience. Smile Thanks again. Are there any other schools you know about? Ones you would recommend in the subcontinent?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: