Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer jobs??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amandakay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Summer jobs?? Reply with quote

Hello! I am a major newbie to the TEFL world. I've been reading the posts on the Turkey forum for a few weeks now, and I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated. Please go easy on me. Wink I'm still in college working on my BA...but I found a site that advertised summer camps in China that were open to university students. Is anyone aware of a similar program in Turkey? If not, is it possible to teach for only a summer? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Amanda
tvik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an english school in izmir called "address english" my roomate worked there for the summer. you have to baby sit children and "teach" them english. one of the kids spit his food all over my friend and tried to stab him with a sharp pencil. they pay 15 YTL for an hour.
amandakay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...intense. 15 YTL? Is that enough to live on and pay rent? I was actually more interested in Istanbul, but failed to include that in my first post.
tvik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is thrifty when you need him?

the answer is both yes and no, like many things. it's ok in izmir but in istanbul you be looking for empty beer bottles at night to make ends meet
amandakay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as tempting as picking up beer bottles sounds, I don't know if that would be my first choice. Anyone else know of any other options?
Nmarie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would one go about finding summer-only lodging in Izmir?
lovelace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of the language schools offer summer only contracts, usually June, July and August. English Time, Interlang, EF etc usually recruit all year round and tend to lose a lot of teachers at the end of the academic year, so need staff for the summer time. They don't pay fantastically and might not be the best quality schools, but it would give you a taste of Istanbul.
sandyhoney2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovelace wrote:
Quite a few of the language schools offer summer only contracts, usually June, July and August. English Time, Interlang, EF etc usually recruit all year round and tend to lose a lot of teachers at the end of the academic year, so need staff for the summer time. They don't pay fantastically and might not be the best quality schools, but it would give you a taste of Istanbul.

It was my impression while I was there that hours dropped incredibly over the summer and that it was the worst time to be looking. You may get part-time hours at one of the language schools.

Because the adult students tend to take the summer months off, this leaves teachers scrounging for hours.

I'm not saying it's impossible - but keep in mind the number of teachers that are underemployed and already in Istanbul, plus the ones that come hoping for summer jobs...

TEFL season in the language schools is September-May. Good luck.
thrifty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvik wrote:
where is thrifty when you need him?

the answer is both yes and no, like many things. it's ok in izmir but in istanbul you be looking for empty beer bottles at night to make ends meet

Thrifty here but unable to help. I do know of a nice summer school job in Spain if anyone is interested.
jamessmart50

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are shedloads of summer schools where I'm spending my xmas here in sunny sunny Eastbourne... heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps...
amandakay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would one of the language schools employ me on a tourist visa? I have to imagine going through the process of a work visa for only 3 mon. would be a hassle. Part time work would actually be ok, as long as the hours were stable and they provided housing. Is this a realistic expectation? Should I contact one of the lauguage schools?
thrifty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is:

Would any language school get you a work permit?
amandakay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you are all living in Turkey...would it be completely foolish to just show up in Istanbul in May hoping to find a job for the summer? I really don't care what is it-hotel, hostel, bar, etc. I was thinking that since it would be tourist season there may be positions available. Thanks for any advice y'all can offer!
thrifty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be extremely foolish. You cannot compete with Turks for unskilled work unless you are willing to consider the world's oldest profession. Summer TEFL work is almost impossible to find for a newbie unless it is pocket money in a camp.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrifty is right. Only answer is to sell your body.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: