Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Get a certificate (TEFL) first, or just apply for a job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Get a certificate (TEFL) first, or just apply for a job? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I wanted to ask people about whether it's better to get a TEFL certificate before applying for any ESL job overseas. Right now, I'm doing research to learn all that I can about the ESL industry. Just how helpful is this certificate in:

1) increasing chances of being hired
2) actual teaching. Does it help you to plan lessons for class?

Also, what is really the differnce between a TEFL certificate and CELTA in terms of course work load, difficulty/ease of passing the course?

Finally, which countries would consider you as being more favourable (ie: being hired) if you have the certificate?

Thanks for your input.
Irish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Well, it depends Reply with quote

Hiya Lavender:

This is an important question but I think you need to narrow it down a bit to get useful advice. "Any ESL job overseas" is a lot of territory to cover (although what you want is an EFL job--but we'll get pedantic later).

If you haven't already done so, stop by the Teacher Training Forum. There are many threads devoted to specific cert programs--perhaps that can help you decide which one works best for you.

How much experience do you have? If you have none at all, a good cert program will give you the basics of classroom management, lesson planning, etc. Some schools have in-house training programs but others hire you with the expectation that you know what you're doing. Volunteer work is another good way to gain teaching experience.

What kind of teaching job do you want--kids, adults, language school, university, etc?

What's your citizenship? Do you have at least a bachelor's degree? This matters for immigration purposes in some countries.

Is there a particular country that you want to work in? If you can do the cert in the country of your choice, this may help you get a feel for their job market and make useful contacts (assuming that you can legally work there).

Finally, when you say "TEFL cert," are you referring to TEFL International? There are so many schools out there and the names can sound very similar--I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Sorry to throw so many questions back at you but I think you'll get better information if you can give us a better idea about who you are and what you're looking for.
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Get a certificate (TEFL) first, or just apply for a job? Reply with quote

lavender wrote:
Just how helpful is this certificate in:
1) increasing chances of being hired
2) actual teaching. Does it help you to plan lessons for class?
Finally, which countries would consider you as being more favourable (ie: being hired) if you have the certificate?

A certificate is going to be a big help. Even if you have a bachelor's degree, the certificate shows that you have had some training that is specific to the job you're applying for.

Certification varies from school to school, but a 120-hour (4 week full-time) course will teach you lesson planning in detail, and will have you plan lessons "from scratch". The course will also have a practicum component so that you teach real English students using the lesson plans you've created.

It's very easy to find a job in SE Asia (China, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia, Thailand) if you have a TEFL certificate from a reputable school.
andrea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my two cents:
i decided to do a celta because it seemed to be the most well known. i'm planning on teaching in at least a few different countries in the next who-knows-how-many years, so i thought that a well-recognized certificate would be best. it will help out greatly in those countries which recognize it and won't hurt in the others. once i was accepted to a course, i started applying for jobs, telling potential employers that i will be earning a celta certificate, and lo and behold, i've got a job lined up in the czech republic starting in september, and i haven't even done the course yet.
good luck Cool
lavender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Here's more detail... Reply with quote

Hi to Irish, and others who have responded to my post:

Quote:
How much experience do you have? If you have none at all, a good cert program will give you the basics of classroom management, lesson planning, etc. Some schools have in-house training programs but others hire you with the expectation that you know what you're doing. Volunteer work is another good way to gain teaching experience.

What kind of teaching job do you want--kids, adults, language school, university, etc?

I've done volunteer work with adults only. My target is to teach children. I don't mind where I teach as long as it meets my criteria and that I meet theirs.

Quote:
What's your citizenship? Do you have at least a bachelor's degree? This matters for immigration purposes in some countries.

I'm a Canadian citizen. I have a degree in BA.

Quote:
Is there a particular country that you want to work in? If you can do the cert in the country of your choice, this may help you get a feel for their job market and make useful contacts (assuming that you can legally work there).

Id like to work in East Asia: Japan or Korea, and Western Europe. I can speak Japanese at a native level, though I'm currently studying honorifics (needed in doing business in Japan).

Quote:
Finally, when you say "TEFL cert," are you referring to TEFL International? There are so many schools out there and the names can sound very similar--I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I was referring to TEFL certificate in general, including CELTA, Trinity, and all the other TEFL branded cert. that are available these days. I was wondering if anyone would know of any reputable school for getting a TEFL cert. (3rd party accredited) in Vancouver, Canada, where the focus is on teaching chidlren.

Quote:
Sorry to throw so many questions back at you but I think you'll get better information if you can give us a better idea about who you are and what you're looking for.

No, I appreciate the time that you guys have taken to answer my post. Very Happy Also, it has given me a better understanding of how I can phrase my questions from now on, so that people can respond accordingly.

Thanks again, looking forward to your replies.

Lavender.
Irish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Here's more useless blather Reply with quote

Hello again Lavender:

A BA--great! That makes you legal in most places. Western Europe is pretty much a non-starter for non-EU citizens. It's not that we can't work there. It's just that hiring us entails lots of extra time, trouble, and expense that most employers aren't willing to go through. You can't blame them. If we were in their shoes, we'd probably do the same.

If you look on the Japan forum, there is a fairly recent thread discussing the merits of having a teaching cert. The old hands on the Korea forum can give you the low down on the value of a cert over there. Given the large number of jobs on the Korean Jobs board, I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble finding a position teaching kids.

I don't know of a specific school that fits your criteria--perhaps some of your fellow Canadians will have some leads for you. My understanding is that Trinity includes a component on teaching young learners whereas CELTA has a separate extension. (I wonder if that costs more.) If I were just getting started in EFL, I'd go for a certificate that gave me a broad basis in teaching rather than boxing myself in with something too narrow--but that's just me. Besides, many people come to the cafe asking how they can get a job teaching adults or college students--anything but the kiddies. The fact that you want to teach kids is a plus.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: