Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buckland Group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Buckland Group Reply with quote

Hello All,
Does anyone know about the Buckland Group in Guilin?
Idea ,Jacob
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Buckland Reply with quote

This outfit has been on this forum a lot, do a search yourself, but what has been said over the year has been mostly negative.
Look in the Job Information Journal, or go to Google for a search
ashamanmat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There web site is http://www.bucklandgroup.org/, but you probably already knew that, I dont know much about them I have a open job offer, they want me to come out there in the next few weeks. I have yet to hear anything bad about them, but then again I havent asked. If anyone could tell us a little more, good or bad, it would help us both out I am sure.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Buckland Reply with quote

Originally the group was owned by a Chinese, who went to Canada and came back with the intention of making a lot of bucks.....the land of bucks......Buckland!

It was sold on about a year ago.
Suffice to say that it is the same ilk as EF. a chain of low pay, low quality Mc Job "schools" If they pay less than 100 RMB per hour averaged out you are being used.

The only positive point that for a beginner they give you time to look for better work later on.
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BUCKLAND Group has mushroomed into its current shape from a tiny training centre in small YANGSHUO in the Guangxi A.R. The founder was a Hunanese by the name of Owen. As said by a previous poster, he sold the school some time ago, and the new outfit now runs several branches in other Guangxi towns. So far, nothing bad.
However, Owen is still involved in recruiting teachers. He now operates a guesthouse.
Actually, it is not a bad school although their main motivation is to make "bucks". They succeeded in doing this because Yangshuo has a well-deserved reputation as being a truly "international" place where learning and practising English comes naturally as many backpackers stay put there in one of the quaint guesthouses. It is a little Kathmandu of sorts, where English is exceptionally well understood!
What is a legitimate cause of concern RE Buckland is their new revenue-generating sideline of acting as an agent for other schools!
Most job applicants end up working far, far away from idyllic Yangshuo, and what is worse, their hirers may not be legitimate (and thus unable to legally hire you).
Caution is the word here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: