Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELS Language Centers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace2society32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: ELS Language Centers Reply with quote

I have just been offered a position with ELS Language Centers. Any info regarding life in Oman (compared to the UAE-where I am currently residing), teaching environment, and especially living accomodations would be extremely helpful. I understand it is split shifts. No huge problem. What about the student body? Mostly adults? If not, I at least hope they are well-behaved (trying to avoid employment that tends to be more babysitting). And accomodations? I hope I am provided with my own apartment. It says furnished, but what does that include? Thank you for any feedback. [email protected]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menace,

Not sure why you are starting a complete new thread again. As to comparing life in Muscat versus the UAE - it depends on where you are in the UAE. Oman is quieter, more like Al-Ain or RAK than Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Don't know about their exact students, but if they are teaching Omanis, I'm certain that the students will be the best part of the job.

Housing in Oman tends to be less fancy than the UAE. Very few have central air, so it is those big roaring wall units.

Perhaps Stabnkill can tell you more specifically on the ELS housing. As I recall, this place is near Madinet Qaboos, so if the housing is nearby, it should be acceptable, if not grand.

VS
menace2society32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Not a new thread Reply with quote

To VS,

No need to worry. This is not a new thread. The positions are from two different companies. The original thread (English Language Centre) is a company based out of the U.K. The latter is ELS Language Centers, which is based out of the U.S. Trust me. I received offers from both and they are two distinct companies.

menace
menace2society32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: More info please Reply with quote

As I said, I have been offered a position with ELS, but have been only told that the university that I will be teaching at is 110 km outside of Muscat. What city is the university located in? Also where are the accommodations? Close to the university??? Thanks for the feedback.
menace2society32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Jeddah?? Reply with quote

Also offered a position in Jeddah, SA. Besides lifestyle differences, does anyone know about the employer in Jeddah. How are working conditions? Which would all of you choose? Thanks for ANY opinions you may have.
menace2society32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Two year contracts??? Reply with quote

Is it true that ELS Oman only offers two year contracts???????????
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menace

OK, but I guess that means that you got no answers on ELC because everyone thought you were talking about ELS. Smile

ELS? teaching at a university? huh? Thought they were a language school. Does this mean that they are hiring teachers for some university? I think you better ask them what city and what university. 110kms? That is about the distance to Sur. Perhaps they are hiring for Sur University - lots of problems there according to the postings on this board.

Universities normally have 2 year contracts.

I'd want to hear lots of answers to my questions from them and the email address of a current teacher before I'd get involved with this one. I'd want to know who exactly is my employer. There have been lots of problems in the past with 'agency type' hires - SQU tried it for awhile and it was a disaster for the teachers. It sounds very strange.

VS
menace2society32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Nazwa Reply with quote

The university is in Nazwa. I am not totally sure if I will be teaching university aged students. Still waiting to hear.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menace,

Normally it is spelled Nizwa. I was sitting with a map trying to figure out which cities were 110 kms from Muscat. Smile I did know that Sur has a university, and I had heard that Nizwa is/was getting one. Hopefully you will hear more soon. I wonder what kind of flats one gets out there. Not much to do out there, I fear.

VS
menace2society32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Typical contract???????????????????????????????? Reply with quote

An email reply from ELS revealed the following info: The name of the university is "Nazwa". I would be teaching students who have graduated from h.s. This upcoming year iwill be the first year of the university. They range in age from 18 to 20. Most are beginners in English. After receiving what I thought was a sample contract, I requested another contract with more detailed information and the following is what I received (seems suspicious to me. No mention of specific pay and other important details not in writing. ELS seemed like a reputable employer especially since I work for them part-time now in the U.A.E. AND MY PART-TIME EMPLOYER WAS THE ONE WHO REFERRED MY NAME TO THE OMAN ELS TO MAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY POSSIBLE. Is this a typical ELS Contract????)

CONTRACT OF SERVICE FOR ESL INSTRUCTORS WHO ARE APPOINTED BY ELS LANGUAGE CENTERS-OMAN

This agreement is made on / / 2004 between ELS LANGUAGE CENTERS (hereinafter called the First Party) and _____________________________( hereinafter called the Second Party) as follows:

Article (1): The Second Party, is expected to cover a teaching load of 24
hours contact periods per week. The Second Party will also be expected to be available for a further 6 hours per week for professional duties that may be assigned by the First Party. A rate of 5-6 R.O.(13-16 USD) will be paid as an overtime per every actual teaching hour after completing 24 hrs.

Article (2): This contract comes into force with effect from _____________until __________ unless it is terminated before its expiry date for any other reason mentioned in this contract.

Article (3): The Second Party will be on a probation period for three months effective from _____________. At anytime during the probationary period this contract may be terminated immediately by either party upon written notice.

Article (4): If neither party serves the other with notice of intention not to renew the contract at least two months before it expires, the contract shall be deemed to have been renewed for another year and further renewals shall be in the same manner.

Article (5): This contract may be terminated by either party, without giving reasons, by giving the other party notice for a period of not less than two months to be calculated as period of active service.

Article (6): The First Party shall be responsible for the sponsorship of the Second Party and responsible for the expenses of Visa.

Article (7): The Second Party undertakes to treat all materials data and information that he/she has access to, in connection with his/her duties as confidential and undertake not to disclose the same unless officially authorize to do so, in writing.

Article (Cool: The Second Party undertakes to respect the Laws of the Sultanate, procedures, social and religious traditions and to carry out his/her duties with due diligence and loyalty, and to discharge the duties of his post, and any other duties of a similar nature which the First Party may require him/her to perform and is not allowed to work for any third party.

Article ( 9): Because of the different contractual agreements with other establishments in the Sultanate and because of the different locations of ELS centers in the Sultanate, the Second Party agrees to work in the major cities within the Sultanate of Oman such as Muscat, Salalah,Nazwa and Sohar and as instructed by the First Party.

Article (10): The Second Party shall enjoy free medical treatment within the limits available in clinics and hospitals in the Sultanate and such treatment shall not include purchase of medical glasses, fixing of artificial teeth, alignment of teeth, big surgeries/open heart surgeries and maternity charges.

Article (11): The Second Party in case of illness shall be entitled to a sick leave, medically recommended, with full pay for a period not exceeding one month. If at the expiry of one month leave, the Second Party has not recovered and the medical committee which is assigned by the first party does not declare the Second Party as fit to resume his/her work, the contract shall be deemed to be terminated with effect from the date of the declaration of his unfitness for work.

Article (12): The Second Party shall be granted casual leave with full pay for a period not exceeding five days a year for emergency causes deemed necessary by the first party.

Article (13): The Second Party shall be entitled to economy class return air ticket once in every contracted year of service, Muscat _____________ Muscat.

Article (14): The Second Party shall be entitled to economy class air ticket on termination of service ,Muscat_____________ .

Article (15): The Second Party shall be entitled to a cash compensation equivalent to 75% of the discounted value of economy class return air ticket once during every contracted year of service [in the event of not availing the air ticket].

Article (16): The Second Party shall be granted an annual leave of only one paid month.

Article (17): If the Second party is absent from work or fails to report after the end of his/her annual leave for a period exceeding fifteen days without officially notifying the First Party, his/her service shall be considered as terminated. In case of notifying the first party, days of absence may be considered as absence without pay.

Article (1Cool: Dismissal � This contract may be terminated by the First Party without prior notice at anytime if the Second Party :

a) Commits any serious or persistent breach of this contract.

b) Is convicted of any criminal offence.

c) Is guilty in the judgment of the Second Party of any serious misconduct, willful or persistent neglect, or gross incompetence in the discharge of the duties which this contract required him/her to perform.
Article (19): Both parties are committed to the contract in accordance to the terms explained above.

Article (20): This contract shall be governed and consulted in accordance with the laws of the Sultanate of Oman.

Signature of the First Party Signature of the Second Party

_______________________ ________________________
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Menace,

Nazwa? Unless it is some new or obscure town I've never heard of, apparently ELS has taken it upon themselves to re-name the old capital of Oman!! Cool Living and working in Oman for a number of years since the 80's, I tend to go by what all the official maps and signs say, not to mention my many students who came from there. Silly me---

But onto the contract, I wouldn't even consider it unless they were offering some phenomenal salary like 1500 OR a month. (in our dreams) Heck, you are probably in trouble already because you didn't ask permission to post this on the internet!! See Article 7--

It certainly seems to spend a lot of time talking about how quickly they can dump you for no reason and 'we don't have to tell you the reason even if we have one.'

We await their next 'informative' answer. Perhaps they will give you a hint on salary, and how about housing??

VS
DingirEnki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ELS Language Centers Reply with quote

To clear up a few of the questions... Yes, it is ELS, and yes they've got a contract in Nizwa. I don't know specifics on what school it is, but it's about 150 km from Muscat. Nice enough city. Very small.

In general, Omani students are great. They're fairly serious about learning, very friendly and hospitable and polite, etc. ELS teaches predominantly adults (although you might have to teach a 2 hr kids class on Thur.) You don't usually have split shifts, but it can happen on occasion. But if you're in Nizwa, I assume it'd all be university students since it's a foundation program. I don't know about whether or not it'd be a split shift, but I'd be inclined to say not.

To my knowledge, accomodations are fine. Generally a private 1 bedroom flat. Furnishing usually includes furniture (bed, chair, couch, etc.) refridgerator, washing machine, bookcase/desk. Not a huge amount of stuff, but enough to live with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: