Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Riggi Language School SCAM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTHO_23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Riggi Language School SCAM Reply with quote

I applied for a job posting with the Riggi Language School in Italy (job posting can be viewed at http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=19408); and got this email response back:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Applicant,

We are in receipt of your mail and resume which was forwarded to us. I have also forwarded your file to our Recruitment Department headed by Mr. Armstrong to handle the screening and shortlist the successful candidates so their applications can be processed and a date set for the interview.

Meanwhile, this is a first phase of the recruitment as we just want to start
with 20 candidates. We can assure you that your applications will be carefully screened and if you are successful, copies of the Offer Letter and Application Forms will be sent to you.

Thanks for taking your time to apply for this job.

Regards,

Dr. Mrs. Maria Ressa.
(Director)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later I received the email below:

Dear Applicant,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

This is to inform you that the Recruitment Department of Riggi Language School has chosen your application for employment. You are one of the successfull applicants.

We have forwarded to you copies of The Offer Letter and The Employment forms which you are expected to fill and send back to us immediately so we can start processing your employment file.

A date will be set for the interview at the school premises and you will be notified. A copy of the Teaching Contract will also be sent to you later for your review.

Congratulations once again.

Mr. Matthew Armstrong.
Recruitment officer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The form attached said:

Hereby accept the offer to be a full-time lecturer in Riggi Language School, Bari, Roma and Naples - Italy as English Language Teacher.

I promise to abide by the School�s Code of Conduct as contained in the school�s guiding laws and contribute my quota towards the general upliftment of the College to greater heights while upholding the dreams of the founding father of the College. I shall also be law abiding in the discharge of my duties and respect the laws of Italy.

- and that I should sign below the two paragraphs and then it went on to say:
------------------------------------

* NOTE: Completed acceptance form should be sent to the Recruitment Officer along with a processing fee of �300 which will cover the processing of working/Residence permits/papers, courier services, administrative cost e.t.c. Processing fees should be sent through Western Union Money Transfer to the Recruitment Officer, MATTHEW GILES ARMSTRONG.NAPLES-ITALY. All inquiries in respect of the processing of your application/working permit and other issues should be directed to the Recruitment Officer, Riggi Language School, Tel/fax: +31 84 719 0754, Direct line:+39 392 476 27 32 E-mail: [email protected]

------------------------------------------------

So basically, I sent my application, have NOT had a single interview, and they would like me to send them money through Western Union, and then later on they will send me the teaching contract for review! I don't think so! Watch out everyone, this is a huge scam.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you are right. I did an internet,pagine gialle search for them when I saw the ad and couldn't find anything on them at all.

Thanks for the warning.

PS The Western Union method for money transfer is also a huge giveaway.
honorableruler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Same story Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning, JTHO.

The exact same thing happened to me. I suppose they've sent the same letters to everyone who applied.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone number given is a mobile number. I briefly spoke to the guy answering it, but PM me if you want any info.
sayu80

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Contract Reply with quote

Hey,
I received a copy of the contract by email from Mr. Armstrong. He says he wants the forms and the fee before he goes on his vacation. Sending me a copy of the contract isn't good enough is it? So someone tell me what they think?

TEACHING CONTRACT

I. Party A, Riggi Language School, Bari - Italy wishes to engage the service of party B,�������������������. The two parties, in a spirit of friendly co-operation, agree to sign this contract and pledge to fulfill, conscientiously, all the stipulations stated within it.

II. The period of service will be ONE school year and renewable thereafter.

III. Party B�s salary will be �1,400(One Thousand Four Hundred Euro only) as specified in the JOB DETAILS, payment can be in the local currency(�) or US Dollars depending on the choice of Party B and this must be paid into Party B�s bank account on the 20th of every month.

IV. PARTY A�s OBLIGATIONS:

Party A shall introduce to Party B all the laws, decrees and relevant regulations enacted by the Italian government, the Party A�s work system and regulations concerning administration of foreign experts .

Party A shall conduct direction, supervision and evaluation of Party B�s work.

Party A shall provide Party B with necessary working and living conditions (including heating system,
Television,video/dvd, telephone, kitchen, bed(s), desks, sofa, washing machine, etc. additional articles should be bought by Party B if party B need).

Party A shall provide a local assistant for the first week if necessary.

Party A shall provide Party B medical care, maximum medical care plus accident insurance during the period of service.

Party A shall pay �1,000 bonus for finishing 12 months contract and �500 for finishing 6 months contract.

Party A shall reimburse Party B�s expense for the work visa(if required), labor license, resident permit and health certification for Party B on completion of contract. Party B must take care of the above expenses firstly (where applicable).

Free Internet access at school daily. If Party B needs Internet access in his/her apartment, Party B should buy computer by himself/herself.

V. PARTY B�s OBLIGATIONS
Party B shall observe the laws, decrees and relevant regulations enacted by the Italian government and shall not interfere with Italian Internal Affairs.

Party B shall observe Party A�s work system and regulations concerning administration of foreign experts and shall accept Party A�s agreement, direction, supervision and evaluation in regard to his/her work.

Party B shall respect Italian religious policy, and shall not conduct religious activities incompatible with the status of an expert. Party B shall respect the Italian�s moral standards and customs.

Party B shall accept the work arrangement from Party A.

Party B shall work 40 hours a week, 5 days a week (Mon - Fri) from 9am � 5 pm and take a break period of at least 1 hr each day.

Party B shall not work for any other training centers, organization or schools without permission from Party A. Party B shall not render services elsewhere, or hold concurrently, any post unrelated to the work agreed upon with Party A. If so, Party A has the right to cancel the contract and ask Party B to pay for any losses that may have occurred to Party A.

Party B shall not be late or absent from the work without the full consent of Party A. In an urgent situation Party B should ask for leave.

Party B shall follow all of the school�s arrangements.

Party B must be in good health.

Party B should pay for working visa(if required), labor license, residence permit, health certification firstly, and would be reimbursed by Party A only on completion of contract.

Party B should pay for phone calls and related services.

VI. REVISION, CANCELLATION AND TERMINATION OF THE CONTRACT

Both parties should abide by the contract and refrain form revising, canceling or terminating the contract without mutual consent. The contract can be revised, cancelled or terminated with mutual consent, however, until both parties reach an agreement the contract should be strictly followed.

Party A has the right to cancel the contract with written notice to Party B under the following circumstances:

(i) Party B does not fulfill the contract or the contract obligation to the terms stipulated, and has failed to amend after Party A has pointed this out severally.

(ii) According to a doctor�s diagnosis, Party B cannot resume normal work after a continued 30 days sick leave.

Party B has the right to cancel the contract with written notice to Party A under the following conditions:

(i) Party A has not provided Party B with the necessary working or living conditions as stipulated in the contract.

(ii) Party A has not paid Party B as scheduled.

VII. A breach penalty will occur when either of the two parties fails to fulfill the contract or its obligations according to the terms stipulated�that is breaks the contract� In this circumstance the party must pay a breach penalty of �1,000 . If Party B asks to cancel the contract due to events beyond their control, he/she should provide documentation from the department concerned and obtain Party A�s consent and pay his/her own return expenses. If Party B cancels the contract without valid reason, he/she should pay his/her own return expenses and the breach penalty to Party A. If Party A asks to cancel the contract due to events beyond her control with the consent of Party B, it should pay the return expenses of Party B. If Party A cancels the contract without valid reason, she should pay Party B�s return expenses and the breach penalty to Party B.

VIII. Any appendix of this contract is an inseparable Part of this contract and has equal effect.

IX. This contract takes effect on the date signed by both parties and will automatically expire when the contract ends. If either of the two parties asks for a new contract he/she should request it 90 days prior to the expiration of the contract and sign the new contract with mutual consent.

X. Party B shall bear all expenses incurred if staying on after the contract expires.

XI. If any disputes arise regarding the contract, both parties will mediate with each other. If all attempts fail, the two parties can appeal to an organization of arbitration for foreign expert affairs in the State Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ask for final arbitration.

This contract is signed at Riggi Language School, Bari - Italy. This is an English version of the Agreement.

ATTACHMENTS:

Confidentiality: The Party B shall not disclose his or her salary and the information of the contract to a third Part without the consent of the Party A.

Internet and telephone fee: Party A provides the Party B with the facility of telephone, but Party B should pay for the phone bills. That Party B should deposit the monthly average phone call fee of the last six months before he or she leaves Party A (the contract expires), as the phone bill always comes at the first week of the following month.

Party A:�������������.. Party B:�������������.

Signature & Date. Signature & Date.
Caroline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Your contract Reply with quote

I can see a couple possible problems with this contract.

First, is the salary gross or net (after taxes)? This is unclear. Where are the JOB DETAILS referred to below?

(III. Party B�s salary will be �1,400(One Thousand Four Hundred Euro only) as specified in the JOB DETAILS, payment can be in the local currency(�) or US Dollars depending on the choice of Party B and this must be paid into Party B�s bank account on the 20th of every month.)

Second, 40 teaching hours would be a huge workload. Also, the hours (Monday-Friday, 9-5) seem very strange for an Italian language school. Private language schools in Italy are usually busy in the evening (after 6 p.m. at my school is the busiest time).

Last of all, I don't like the clause "Party B shall respect the Italian�s moral standards and customs". It's vague and they could use it as an excuse to fire you. I have never seen a contract clause like that here.

Anyway, just my thoughts (I've been teaching in Italy for six years). Let us know what happens.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second Caroline's comments.

I'm by no means an expert on Italian contract law, but I have seen a fair number of them. The Italian version (see if you can get a copy) should contain references to the various laws that underpin contracts (art. XX etc) and the contract should also say what type of contract it is: "contratto di progetto" for example.

In addition, your codice fiscale number should be on your contract somewhere, as should the company's tax information, such as Partita Iva number.

You should have INAIL coverage (health and safety) if you're working full-time, and I don't understand this bit:

Quote:
Party A shall reimburse Party B�s expense for the work visa(if required), labor license, resident permit and health certification for Party B on completion of contract. Party B must take care of the above expenses firstly (where applicable).

You don't need to pay for residency: you just go to the commune with your permesso di soggiorno. I don't recall paying for the permesso, or to get on the National Health Service.

To be honest, this contract doesn't sound in the least bit "Italian". It's as if someone has copied extracts from places with more draconian political regimes.

Quote:
Party B shall respect Italian religious policy, and shall not conduct religious activities incompatible with the status of an expert. Party B shall respect the Italian�s moral standards and customs.

What religious actiivities are incompatible with the status of an expert? What moral standards and customs? Up until very recently, the Catholic church and Italian state were intertwined, but now that they are separate you still find anomalies: crucifixes in some classrooms, but not in others etc.

Quote:
XI. If any disputes arise regarding the contract, both parties will mediate with each other. If all attempts fail, the two parties can appeal to an organization of arbitration for foreign expert affairs in the State Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ask for final arbitration.

Odd: if this is an Italian contract, Italian labour law should be applied - it has nothing to do with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I've never heard of "foreign expert affairs". Has this been copied from contracts in the PRC?

Quote:
That Party B should deposit the monthly average phone call fee of the last six months before he or she leaves Party A (the contract expires), as the phone bill always comes at the first week of the following month.

?!? Telecom Italia are not that organised, and neither is the Postal Service!

The whole thing sounds hooky to me - from asking for upfront fees, to the wording of the contract.
JTHO_23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Definitely a scam Reply with quote

I really believe this is a huge scam. Remember that in my case I didn't even receive a teaching contract and they already wanted me to sign a form saying:

Country of Residence������������.
Marital Status:�����������������..
Contact E-mail:�����������������.
Contact Phone:�����������������..
Contact Fax:������������������..
Others:���������������������������������

Hereby accept the offer to be a full-time lecturer in Riggi Language School, Bari, Roma and Naples - Italy as English Language Teacher.

I promise to abide by the School�s Code of Conduct as contained in the school�s guiding laws and contribute my quota towards the general upliftment of the College to greater heights while upholding the dreams of the founding father of the College. I shall also be law abiding in the discharge of my duties and respect the laws of Italy.

* NOTE: Completed acceptance form should be sent to the Recruitment Officer along with a processing fee of �300 which will cover the processing of working/Residence permits/papers, courier services, administrative cost e.t.c. Processing fees should be sent through Western Union Money Transfer to the Recruitment Officer, MATTHEW GILES ARMSTRONG.NAPLES-ITALY. All inquiries in respect of the processing of your application/working permit and other issues should be directed to the Recruitment Officer, Riggi Language School, Tel/fax: +31 84 719 0754, Direct line:+39 392 476 27 32 E-mail: [email protected]

-----------------------------------

I had NO interview whatsoever! It's so easy to make up a form... and in this case they threw something at the top to make it seem legitimate, but really they just want you to send the 300 Euros; and then I can guarantee you won't hear from them again. There's too many red flags!

I wouldn't trust this offer at all.
---------------------------------------------

On a side note has anyone heard about "Morgan Education" in Casarano (District of Gallipoli) Lecce, PUGLIA, Italy. The job link is:

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=19355

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
jnesta1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

JTHOS, if you haven't done so yet, it might be a good idea to send your message to the moderators of teh forum. They seem keen to notify people of scams (see the first couple of posts on the main page). Thanks for your note and good for you for your caution.

TIR, Again, your experience helps the rest of us here. I though interesting that at one point it seemed to say A would cover some costs and later it said B would. But I certainly don't have the insight from reading other Itlian contracts. Whatever happened to ethics?!

Best,

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: