Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a conflict between English and Islam?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bedouin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Is there a conflict between English and Islam? Reply with quote

It is often argued that the promotion of English is attacking or eroding traditional values in the Islamic world.

There are certainly many on both sides - the West and the Muslim world - who would embrace the view that the English language is essentially in conflict with Islam. I'm not exclusively referring to the language per se but more broadly to the socio-political and socio-cultural implications of the role of English in the Muslim world.

I'd be very curious to hear and share views about this.

You might want to consider posting on the TESOL Islamia website if you're interested in this area.

Sohail

www.tesolislamia.org
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/194034 [Discussion Forum]

Last edited by Bedouin on Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Texas, God's Country, many years ago. in the infancy of the Republic of Texas...the subject being debated was should educators in Texas schools teach English or German...Someone of importance said during the debate, and I quote, "if the English language was good enough for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, it is good enough for the school children of Texas."
I chuckle at the mentality of this well-intentioned Texan, I think that maybe the politicians have evolved SOME here...but not really. They still think that Spanish is bad Twisted Evil

The God of my understanding isn't about Arabic or Mandarin or English.
Any thinking Muslim would surely agree, respecting that the Koran was written in Arabic.

I am sure that many do see English as evil and against Islamic principles. Again, I would say it is about evolution.
Nomad Dan
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: First define Islam Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
I guess it all depends on one's definition of " Islam ": if you mean the religion as it's mainly practiced here, with its many restrictions on women, its antipathy towrds democracy, its unity of government and religion, its forcing of adherents to worship, its banning of other religions. etc., then English might well be seen as a " threat ", seeing as it, through the media ( TV, radio, the Net, newspapers, etc. ) could introduce ideas hostile to such practices. But personally, I don't think all of those items mentioned above are essential, or even proper, parts of Islam. So, if one is a " fundamentalist " Moslem, then English is likely seen as threatening. But if one is a " liberal Moslem " then it's probably not.
Regards.
John
Bedouin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

Thank you for your comments.

I'm afraid I disagree; there are extremely liberal French people that are uneasy about the role of English in the world. Apparently, there are laws in France that prohibit the use of shop signs in English if a French alternative cannot be found.

These are extremely important issue for everyone.

Right now, Britain is debating whether to adopt the Euro and ditch the pound. According to latest polls, many Brits have a strong attachment to the pound that has little to do with rational economic arguments. One imagines how they would react if they were told to accommodate more French into mainstream British culture.

In short, I think your comments about democracy and the role of women are frankly a red herring.

Sohail
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Baseless fears Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
By introducing the French into this, you're comparing apples and oranges. The French are protective ( some might say " over-protective ) of their " nationalist culture/langauge ". I thought you were asking about Islam. No red herrings here; the degree to which a Moslem feels " threatened " by English depends, I'd say, on how much they fear the spead of such ideas as women's lib, democracy, free press, free speech, in short, freedom.
Oh, they might say they fear " materialism ", too, but that's already rampant here. What it does remind me of is the " fear " the Christians had and still have of " science "; many felt and some still feel " threatened " by it. They're afraid it contradicts/will contradict their beliefs. Both " fears ", those of the Moslems and the Christians, are, I think, baseless.
Regards,
John
Bedouin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

I'm not so sure that there is a meaningful qualitative difference here.

I imagine all nations/societies are protective if they feel their culture or values are being undermined or threatened. I don't think the French are particularly unique in this respect.

Curiously, in the US there is a significant body of American public opinion that actually feels uneasy about Spanish gaining ground over English. The organisation "US English" for instance is well known for aggressively campaigning for an English-Only society for the US [Remember English is NOT the official lnaguage of the United States] One of main concerns of this organisation is reforming Bilingual Spanish education in the States. On its website (http://www.us-english.org/) it provides "scandalous" instances of say a US drivers licence translated into Spanish.

My point is that language is an intimate part of our culture and personal identity. People naturally feel uneasy if they feel their language is being undermined. Muslims are no different in this respect. It's nothing to do with fundamentalism or liberalism.

Kind regards

Sohail
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: On what, specifically, is this fear based? Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
What exactly is this " fear " - that English is going to " replace " Arabic? If so, that's about as likely as peace breaking out in the Middle East, if not less so. If it's about " values ", just what " values " ( besides the ones I mentioned, which are more hidebound traditionalism, unsuited to the world today, than " values " ) does English threaten? Here in Saudi Arabia, they're finally waking up to the fact that having close to 50% of your potential work force unemployed/unemployable ( i.e. women ) isn't going to be possible, given the world as it is today. So they're at least talking about " opening up new employment opportunities " for the ladies. And they also realize that, given the predominance of English these days, not knowing it presents a major obstacle to business - and the " bottom line " is, as always, money. So they're planning to start teaching it in the lower grades now. French people who think introducing " le hamburger " into the French language and British people who feel that switching from the pound to the euro is somehow going to hurt their " Frenchness " and " Britishness " are, I think, very insecure in both instances. The same goes for Americans worried about Spanish. The major languages are going to be around for a long time yet, no matter what happens. And living languages are always changing, importing new words from other tongues.
Could you tell me, specifically, how English can " threaten " Islam - and please, specifically.
Regards,
John
Bedouin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

With all due respect, "fear" is a notion that you have projected into this debate. We're talking about - at least I was - the question of English undermining people's values or sense of identity. You may wish to define that as an "insecurity" but evidently the importance of language obviously arouses strong emotions for many people around the world. I'm tempted to say it's the sort of attitude that is tantamount to saying that all black people have a chip on their shoulder. I personally see no difference between the crude insensitivity of many native speakers of English to other people's language sensitivities and other sorts of prejudice.

Is Arabic being replaced by English? Of course, it is! Certainly in the some realms: notably, higher education in the Arabian Gulf States. One could argue that English is important but opting for it as a medium of instruction is quite another matter.

France, Italy, Gemany, Spain, Japan and countless others have not opted for English as a medium of instruction in higher education and yet they are successful economic nations if you must judge countries by these parameters. The claims of English being a panacea for economic depression are frankly over inflated. I often ask myself why 200 years of English language education in India has not brought them any significant economic benefits.

How does English threaten Islam? Well by simply investing greater resources into English this invariably impacts on Arabic and Islamic studies. I certainly have noted over the years how Arabic and Islamic studies have become increasingly marginalised as a result of the prominence of English in the curricula. In a recent Washington post article an American correspondent in Qatar was gloating about how English had somehow displaced Islam from the curriculum and that this was necessarily a good thing for the region [see http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=194034&messageid=1047664207] This is just one aspect of conflict between Islam and English. I could go on at length. There are countless of others that have been well documented. Perhaps since you seem interested in this area you might want to read one of the many varied articles located at http://www.tesolislamia.org/articles.htm.

It particular I recommend reading the work of Alistair Pennycook and James Tollefson, two leading applied linguists.

Kind regards

Sohail
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: No fear? Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin.
" It is often argued that the promotion of English is attacking or eroding traditional values in the Islamic world. "
" With all due respect, "fear" is a notion that you have projected into this debate. "
" We're talking about - at least I was - the question of English undermining people's values or sense of identity. "
So, what you're saying, then, is - when someone's values and/or sense of identity is being attacked and undermined, he/she should not feel threatened by this, should not feel any fear. Well, that would seem to me to be a very odd lack of reaction. Of course, this all begs the question: are those nebulous values ( which I still can't get you to specifically define - that would help, you know, to bring the discussion out of the clouds and down to particulars ) are, in fact, being attacked, eroded and/or undermined. I'm sure you're familiar with the history of languages, how one or another becomes a so-called " lingua franca " for a while, due to the the native speakers of that language acquiring political and economic " clout ", usually by force of arms. Persian, Greek, Latin, Arabic, Spanish and French all had their " days in the sun ", as English is having now. English's day will pass as well, to be replaced by who knows - perhaps Chinese. You did mention one specific " impact ", the diversion of resources into the study of English at the expense of Arabic/Islamic studies. Perhaps that is a by-product of the fact that English is the main contender, these days, for the title of " world language ". But why are these resources being " diverted ", why are more people seemingly intrested nowadays in studying English? The primary reason is likely economic - there's nothing that attractive about English in itself to make it so popular. Then there's it's dominance in the media. Is it right that one language should be so dominant ( or one country, for that matter )? Well, in an ideal world, no. But it is a simple fact, like it or not. I feel sure that Arabic, Arabic values and Arabic culture will survive the temporary dominance of English, just as other cultures have survived the dominance of other " world languages ". Then we can both worry about whether Chinese is threatening us, our values and our culture. Well, you can worry about that if you want to, but if Chinese attains, in my lifetime, the position that English now holds, it won't bother me one bit.
Regards,
John
Bedouin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

Regrettably, I fear [ Very Happy ] that your initial reasoning is a total non sequitur.

You do not feel "fear" if your language or culture IS being undermined. Your feelings may range from unease to anger. A Black American does not feel fear if his/her culture and values are not being sufficiently represented in mainstream American culture. I imagine he/she feels angry or resentful. There is a crucial distinction here. Your use of fear in this debate is frankly patronising because it implies in this case an irrational and uncontrollable emotional response to an unperceived or unreal threat. Anger or unease is a deliberate response to something that is real and perceived.

At any rate, if as you conceded that resources are being diverted from Arabic to English the Islamic values which you seem to suggest are nebulous are simply marginalised or not represented sufficiently in mainstream Islamic culture.

I am happy to broaden the debate but fear [ Very Happy ] that you will become selective in what I present. So if it's okay with you let's talk about my point about the role of English diverting resources and we can then move on.

Kind regards

Sohail

www.tesolislamia.org
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Please define your terms Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
" Your use of fear in this debate is frankly patronising because it implies in this case an irrational and uncontrollable emotional response to an unperceived or unreal threat. Anger or unease is a deliberate response to something that is real and perceived. "
Huh? Fear is an irrational or uncontrollable emoton while anger is a deliberate response to something real and perceived? Mama mia, that reasoning is so, well, strange, I hardly know where to begin to refute it.
First, both fear and anger are usually " unconrtollable " as, to some extent, all emotions are. We control our feelings ( anger and fear ) with our reason. Many/most of us CAN control our fear and/or anger in many situations. Well, I know I have, anyway. And why is fear " irrational "? If someone is threatening my values system, my culture, why is it " irrational " to fear this, but " rational " to be angry? In fact, doesn't anger often spring from fear? Second, you wrote:
" At any rate, if as you conceded that resources are being diverted from Arabic to English the Islamic values which you seem to suggest are nebulous are simply marginalised or not represented sufficiently in mainstream Islamic culture. "

Please note what I wrote - emphasis added:

You did mention one specific " impact ", the diversion of resources into the study of English at the expense of Arabic/Islamic studies. PERHAPS that is a by-product of the fact that English is the main contender, these days, for the title of " world language ".

As for the values' being " nebulous ", that's because you are the one who introduced the word " values " but persistently refuse to specifically define what that all too general word means to you. Before we go any further, I must insist you do so - otherwise, I don't see any point in continuing this discussion. Then we can examine just how or if English is threatening /marginalizing / eroding or whatever these specific values. As the matter stands now, we're dealing way too much in undefined generalities.
Regards,
John
Bedouin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

I'm not persistently avoiding anything. Perhaps you're persistently ignoring my key point.

All Islamic values are being marginalised if they are being pushed out by English in the Gulf educational curricula. So in other words what I'm saying is that the 'impact' of English has direct implications for Islamic values. The Washington Post article I mentioned earlier documents this very clearly.

Do you concede this? In other words do you concede that the prominence of English has direct socio-cultural and socio-political implications for the status of Islamic values in Gulf curricula?

Kind regards

Sohail
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Supply and demand Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
Let me try one more time. The term " Islamic values " is much too vague and generalized for me to be able to make any comment on. Are these " Islamic values " being marginalized? If you will be so kind as to indicate what these " values " are ( the generalized term is of NO help to me ), I'll be happy to examine with you whether they are. I will make one comment on the " changing of the syllabus " which the government is engaged in doing here right now. I think it's a necessary action. While it might be good to have lots of graduates skilled in interpreting the Koran and the Surahs ( spelling? ), there is such as thing as an oversupply. This country is in big economic trouble - with about 30 to 40 percent of its young work force unemployed/unemployable ( nobody knows the exact figures; the government doesn't publish them ). What is needed are more graduates trained in, shall we say, more practical areas, such as science, engineering, business, etc. Even the government and the media here recognize that hard fact.
Regards,
John
P.S. Just out of curiosity, are you an ESL/EFL teacher? If so, wouldn't that be kind of " sleeping with the enemy " according to your beliefs?
Bedouin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John

Once again you're missing the point and I'm tempted to say deliberately missing the point!

Islamic values have been taught for the past 1400 years in traditional learning institutions in the Arabian peninsula and the wider Muslim world.

The recent rise of English on the curricula has directly impacted on what is taught and the time and resources that are invested on other tradional areas of the curriculum. It has been widely documented that specifically Islamic studies and Arabic have been increasingly marginalised over the years as result of English featuring more prominently in the curricula. A case in point is an institution where I've worked where students nowadays study 5 out of 7 periods a day of ESL and two periods a week of Islamic studies.

So once again: Do you concede that this trend is happening? I will be more than happy to address your specific concerns if you'll simply address this point. We can then broaden the debate and look at other areas where English is in conflict with Islam.

Kind regards

Sohail
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Pointless Reply with quote

Dear Bedouin,
As far as " missing the point " goes, you seem to have that down pat. Since you refuse to define what you mean by that vague term " Islamic values " ( perhaps because you can't - or for some reason, won't ) I'm
exiting this useless discourse. Another reason for my doing so is that you also refuse to answer any comments - such as the one about having an oversupply of youth who are Quranic scholars and an undersupply of those who can join the productive work force. Besides, no matter what I might say, it's quite clear that you are absolutely convinced that the teaching of English is somehow adversely affecting those non-defined " Islamic values ". I see no point in continuing to try to carry on a discussion with someone who 1. refuses to be specific; 2. ignores what I write; and 3. has his/her mind made up and is impervious to any argument. You also never answered my question as to what you teach. No matter what you or I may say, English will continue to be taught here, and most probably increasingly so, simply because if it isn't, this country will fall futher and further behind economically. If English isn't taught and the universities here keep graduating mostly Islamic scholars, well, this may then be the holiest, most Islamic land in the world, but it will also be an economic basket-case. So, so long - good luck finding someone else to have your discourse with.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: