Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on inlingua parma a.s.a.p.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTHO_23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Need info on inlingua parma a.s.a.p. Reply with quote

Hi i've been offered a job with inlingua parma and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the school/location? This will be my first teaching abroad job; and it's come up with very short notice so I need as much info as I can get.

Here's more info below:
Trainer Recruitment details
Centre: Parma (Italy)
Address: P.le Badalocchio 5/A
Tel: +39 0521/989406
e-mail: [email protected]
Classes: one-to-one and small groups

School opening hours: Monday to Friday08.30 � 22.00
(Can be at school or in company) Saturday (possibility not certain) 08.30 � 12.30

Classes taught: levels 1-5 (inlingua levels)
Business and General English
English for specific purposes

Hours taught/month: AVERAGE 100-120 HOURS
One hour lesson = 60 MINUTES
(the average will be respected only if Trainer give us full availability )

Starting Contract:September /October

Salary and Terms and conditions:Expected gross salary per month:� 1,200.00 � � 1,400.00
Based on approximately 100-120 hours a month

Class taught out of school:Depends on Teachers� qualifications/experience
Range 60% to 90% out of school
This can fluctuate according to contracts won

Tax and Social security : no deductions in Italy
Taxes should be paid in your country.

Holidays : we do not pay for holidays

Notice :60 days

Payment : On the 10th of the month ( i.e. October�s salary is paid on Nov. 10th)

In company lessons : � 0,10 � � 0,30/Km for companies further than 10 Km (One way)

Temporary accommodation upon arrival:
Youth hostel approximately � 21 /night until permanent accommodation is found. Reimbursement of up to 6 nights once contract finishes if contract is respected if receipt is kept.

Permanent Accomodation: Between � 180,00 and � 350,00 for a single bedroom in a flat/appartment

Help in finding accomodation: We can help teachers by making phone calls to prospective landlords/landladies, arranging appointments and taking teacher�s to the appointments, and finalizing contractual matters.

Medical Insurance:Bring an E111 form.
Once you apply for a working visa your medical expenses are covered .

In-houseTraining:Duration depends on Teachers. (7-10 days)
Training seminar is not paid.
The training seminar covers:
Applications of Inlingua Methodology
Use of Inlingua Materials

Bonus: If the contract is respected the teacher will be paid
� 0,50 for each hour taught from the beginning to the end of the contract. Doesn�t include the cancellations
that you get paid for.

Minimum Guarantee: We guarantee a minimum of � 750,00 x month .
This minimum doesn�t apply for monthly fractions. (Ex. If you start in the middle of September and finish at the beginning of July doesn�t apply for
these two months).
(the minimum guaranteed and the average hours taught will be respected only if Trainer gives us full availability )

Successful applicants must send copies of travel arrangments ( itinerary/tickets) two weeks before. Bookings do not count. ONLY PURCHASE OF TICKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED.

THIS FORM WILL BE PART OF THE CONTRACT

Best Regards Inlingua Parma.

Teacher signature_____________________________(to be signed and forwarded only if the position has been confirmed by Inlingua Parma)
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked at an Inlingua, here is what I would want more information about:

Quote:
School opening hours: Monday to Friday08.30 � 22.00
(Can be at school or in company) Saturday (possibility not certain) 08.30 � 12.30

Are there any scheduling guarantees? You could end up working 8.30-10 then 12.30-14.00 then 20.00-22.00 (this is VERY likely at an Inlingua)... effectively ruining your day. Based on the information given, if you restricted your availability (for example, not working late if you had an 8.30 class 50 km outside the city the next morning) you would be ineligible for many benefits.

Quote:
English for specific purposes

In other words, you have to design the curriculum for these programs yourself, because the students don't want to pay �69 (really!) for the textbook. Do you get paid for time spent designing the course? What resources are available for you to use with these students?

Quote:
Salary and Terms and conditions:Expected gross salary per month:� 1,200.00 � � 1,400.00
Based on approximately 100-120 hours a month

What the is the rate PER HOUR? If you stay with the school the following year, what kind of salary increases will you receive? What are your opportunities for advancement? The Inlingua I taught at literally never gave anyone a raise!

Quote:
Tax and Social security : no deductions in Italy
Taxes should be paid in your country.
Holidays : we do not pay for holidays

This sounds fishy to me. Check with someone about the tax thing... I think it is an outright lie. If you are not being paid for holidays it means you are on a temporary contract- ask the school how long you will have to work there before you receive a permanent contract with benefits.

Quote:
In company lessons : � 0,10 � � 0,30/Km for companies further than 10 Km (One way)

What is this payment for? Is this for your time or for the actual cost of travel? If it is for time, will they also reimburse the cost of the bus or train ticket to the company? (I spent about �60 per month on travel to in-company classes when I taught at Inlingua). In my opinion, that is an extremely low figure for travel time (on crappy Italian inner-city roads it can take 60 minutes to go 10 km).

Quote:
Medical Insurance:Bring an E111 form.
Once you apply for a working visa your medical expenses are covered .

It seems fishy to me that you can get a work visa but not pay taxes, and then get free health care. Your E111 is only for EMERGENCY health care, and it won't cover things like general physicals, most prescription drugs, birth control, etc.

Quote:
In-houseTraining:Duration depends on Teachers. (7-10 days)
Training seminar is not paid.
The training seminar covers:
Applications of Inlingua Methodology
Use of Inlingua Materials

This training session took me four PAID hours (two of which I spent sitting in an empty classroom waiting for the teacher to arrive). The next morning I was in the classroom teaching. It is RIDICULOUS that you should spend a week, unpaid, learning a method scientifically proven not to work. I would contest this if I were you. Ask if you can observe a gung-ho Inlingua teacher in action to really get a feel for the method... and to make sure you can stomache it.

Quote:
Minimum Guarantee: We guarantee a minimum of � 750,00 x month .
This minimum doesn�t apply for monthly fractions. (Ex. If you start in the middle of September and finish at the beginning of July doesn�t apply for
these two months).

In this case, make sure your contract starts on the first of the month and ends on the last day of a month. Ask about December and Easter, periods when the school may be closed (even if you are available).

Quote:
THIS FORM WILL BE PART OF THE CONTRACT

What part? What other information is included in the contract?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: