Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RasGas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntropy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: RasGas Reply with quote

There was a posting for an instructor at RasGas on the board a while ago.

Has/is anyone worked/working there? Both the company and the housing in Al KHor are uniformly panned on the Oil Careers Discussion board. What do Dave's denizens say about the place?
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this on another thread. I saw the ad too and was a bit surprised. In the past QAC teachers who were sub-contracted to QP were sent to Rasgas. The guys who worked there seemed to like it because it was an easy gig with little management interference. You were just left to your own.
ntropy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Being left alone to do the job well is right up my alley. Anyone know Al Khor living conditions? I understand it's in the middle of nowhere.
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al khor is in the middle of nowhere but if you have transport then nothing is too far away in Qatar. I had alot of students who lived in Al khor and commuted to Doha every day, so i wouldn't about it.
Gnome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ntrophy,

I worked at RasGas in 2003. The compound is very large, well-maintained and quite boring. However, there are some really nice swimming pools and 5-star restaurants on site. There is even a bus line to take you around the compound. The main population is East Indian. They even have their own magazine and various clubs. I didn't see many Westeners.

Doha is about 45 minutes away by a shopping bus that maintains a regular schedule. On the compound, there is only a small grocery store, so everyone shops at the main mall in Doha, which has everything you will need.

The compound is quiet. People drive slowly and there is a general respect for everyone. I am sure many of the Indians, etc., feel they have died and gone to heaven or wherever. Count on having a stress-free time at what amounts to a resort in the desert. Considering the places you have worked in the past, which you have mentioned here before, this will be heaven for you, too.

The actual training centre is about 45 minutes from there on a scheduled bus. There is also a cafeteria beside the centre which has the best selection of food I have ever seen. I don't remember what it costs, but it is very cheap. The only drawback is the fact that you have to catch the bus at 3:30 to take you back to the compound. You can't spend anytime after class doing preps at the centre. Unless you buy a car, of course.

As far as the students are concerned, the Qatariis are arrogant, diffcult to satisfy and undisciplined. They come to class to socialize, not to learn. Good luck with them! The other students are other nationalities and wonderful to teach. Try to design a mix of both types, because the Qatariis seem to respond better when they are shown up by the East Indians.

A Qatari woman ran the training centre at the time. Like most Qatariis in leadership positions, she was over her head. Her main concern was appeasing her fellow Qatariis and saving face. Just remember that Qatar is a very small place and everyone is related to eachother or grew up with them. Think of a small town and act accordingly.

There is also an "international school" in the compound, so if you have kids, they would get an interesting education. You could do a lot worse than working for RasGas, believe me.
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Gnome, for a very well thought out and informative reply! Exactly what I was hoping someone would come up with.

I'm simply in info-gathering mode at present, not considering a position that's been offered or anything like that, and you're contribution is much appreciated. Thanks again.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I just read your signature ntropy. It isn't cold in Qatar so what will you do with no hockey?
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no other "real" sports outside of hockey so hmmm....

reading?

Does this also mean my other cold-time activity will not be possible there?

Seriously, I shall have to take up some racquet sport or the like.
mci

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: hockey Reply with quote

No hockey !!?? Blasphemy ! I'm surprised you don't know this but there is a lively and thriving hockey scene in the Gulf. Every country has a team or several - tournaments in Dubai or Al Ain / Abu Dhabi are excellent, fun with all of the usual beer drinking and elevated heartrates that any adult league in the U.S. or Canada has. The only drawback is that not all of the countries have full-sized rinks - Oman and Doha I know have only 1/3 size - and there's no glass or it's fragile glass in Doha so they play with a weighted blue ball - considering where you are though, it is a great time for all. The tournament in Dubai is particularly fun.

As for the other cold weather activity...as I said, the tournament in Dubai is fun ( so I hear...) Cool

Have you heard of a book - "Tropic of Hockey" written by a Canadian musician who travelled around China, the Gulf and other exotic places only to play hockey and write about the experience - good book.

mci
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have seen a few guys playing around with a puck in the ice rink in City Centre. It is small though.... the ice rink that is.
ntropy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you heard of a book - "Tropic of Hockey" written by a Canadian musician who travelled around China, the Gulf and other exotic places only to play hockey and write about the experience - good book.

Good book, good TV show. THat would be Dave Bidini of Rheostatics fame. He also did one in Russia, going to various cities and ending up playing in a 1972 reunion game against some of the Russian greats.

As for Dubai and the other coldtime activity, my tastes only run to the non-commercial nature.
mci

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had a '72 reunion game in Dubai the year before last - most of the team is dead or pickled somewhere but I had a chance to meet Kharlomov ( I think that's who it was ) - a great bear of a man and they pretty much thrashed the younger and fitter Dubai team. Great skills don't die, just the livers...

ntropy, if you do manage to find a job that you like out here then bring your gear - you'll love it. The Qatar team comes down to Dubai for the big tournament and they have also travelled to Singapore for a tourney - there's another good one in Bankok that is fun - hockey, beer and golf - what more can you ask for?

mci
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: