Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any hope for Switzerland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheena

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Any hope for Switzerland? Reply with quote

I live in Canada. I have a 2 year Business Admin diploma and a TESOL certificate with 3 correspondance courses. I have no experience. I would really like to teach in Switzerland. Is there any way I would be able to get a job there? What would I have to do? I have a bit of information but I have heard that there is no chance of getting a job there.

If Switzerland doesn't happen I am also interested in Italy, Greece or France. What is the deal with the EU and how does it affect my chances?

Thanks! [/quote]
schminken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to tell you but Switzerland is next to impossible. Really. Really! Swiss people speak fantastic English. Swiss language teachers are also superb. You need at least a MA and most probaby a PH.D to teach in Switzerland. Yes, Switzerland is not EU but it's even more difficult to get a job in Switzerland than in the EU. And even though CH is not EU, a British citizen will be able to get a job before a North American, New Zealander, or Aussie. On top of all the visa woes, the job situation is not good there at the moment and many Swiss people are being laid off. It is also so damn expensive there. I was in Z�rich this past weekend and paid 20 CHF for a small mixed drink.

I hate to be so negative but this is the truth. I DID work in Switzerland in a work internship program. I fell in love with Switzerland and wanted to move back. I speak fluent German and Swiss German. My boyfriend is Swiss and I have a MA in TESOL and German. I scored one interview in two years and that was only because I have Swiss connections.

Now, on to Italy and other EU countries. Sigh. I don't want to tell you it's impossible. I work in an EU country. However, I really don't know what job opportunities exist for people with only a TESOL certificate. No one in the EU is going to hire someone without experience or qualifications. Wish I had better news or could be of more help.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: svizzera ? Reply with quote

Really impossible. Come and join the rest of us in Saudi Arabia. Or Korea.
Irish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: "The deal with the EU" Reply with quote

Essentially, EU countries have agreements that allow them to hire citizens of other EU countries with far less time, paperwork, and expense than it takes to hire a non-EU citizen. It isn't that we can't work there; it's just that there has to be some incredibly compelling reason for an employer to willingly go through all the trouble of hiring us. As Schminken says, it's not impossible but without the right experience and qualifications (and good connections in some cases) it's very, very hard.
marianne

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear, how negative! :(
i'm hoping to join my swiss/irish boyfriend in the valais in the coming months and this is not helping my nerves at all!!

however, to add one little ray of light sheena, what schminken said about swiss people speaking fantastic english and language teachers being excellent doesn't cover the whole country....in my boyfriends region there is very little english spoken as they speak french day-to-day and learn german at school.
and colleagues of his have expressed interest in learning english from me when i move over as there are no native speakers teaching in the local language schools and they'd prefer to learn from a native speaker.

anyone know what qualifications are needed to teach at secondary level, in a lycee? my boyfriends mother told me on a recent trip there that it's now compulsory for students to learn english at school (most learned german or italian before) so maybe that will open up some jobs? I hope!!! i have a ba (hons), ma (not in tefl though :(), my celta and 2 years experience....should i give up now or is there any hope?!!!
go2guy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do you have a CAPS key on your computer?

Seriously, though, I do agree that there are always areas (outside of the larger cities) in most European countries where a significant number of people still don't speak much English, and would seriously like to improve themselves en anglais / auf Englisch.

Having said that, I don't know how many people are willing to actually shell out of their own pockets for lessons. The most hoped-for route is that one's company will pay for English lessons that are done on company hours.

The key is being on the ground in-country and possessing the willingness to pound the pavement to get the interviews and make the connections.
I have had work turn up in the most surprising locations; one of the best-paying job offers I ever had here in France was at a smaller engineering school out in the boonies of the "Ain" department (I couldn't take it because I didn't have a car at the time).

Finally, to echo the remark so often made on this forum (and in response to the original post), no EU passport = very difficult time getting work in the EU -- or Switzerland. But it's NOT impossible! Wo ein Wille ist, ist ach ein Weg -- oder!

Good luck!
Chasgul

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be aware that different cantons will give you different answers as to requirements, whilst there may be federal requirements, the individual cantons have a lot of say as to their own.

The other question is how good you are at the local sprache. Getting clients through word-of-mouth is fine but they will usually want to be able to communicate with you in their mother tongue to speed up the explanations.

And be sure to check on the differences between Swiss French and Swiss German and their counterparts. Can you say: Chuchichaschli?
yaramaz

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 years ago a friend of mine with some uni but no degree and a Celta (no experience) worked in Switzerland for about 3 years. She said the bureaucracy was crazy and her visa never really came through in the end but that never stopped her from working in boarding schools, language camps and language schools in various parts of the country. She had a flat, a bank accounti etc, etc--- just no visa... but no one seemed to care. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: