Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

banking question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heather9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: banking question Reply with quote

I am about to head to France to be a teaching assistant. My question has to do with opening a banking account in France. I am planning to transfer some of my money from here in the US. What is the best way to do that? Do I just write a check? Or do I have to ask my bank for a special form?

I am sure that I will have more questions later on. I'd be happy to hear from anyone heading of to France this fall. I will be in the town of Vannes.

Thank you for you help.
Luder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can write a check but it will take a while to clear and there will be a hefty commission--probably a good deal higher than the one on a transfer. A transfer between your banks is probably a better idea, even if it can be inconvenient, since you'll have to have opened an account in France for the money to be transferred to (and you can't open a French bank account until you have a French address) and by then you'll be in France, where it will be hard for you to go to your old bank and arrange a transfer, won't it? Even explaining it is complicated! Maybe you'd be better off just carrying a wad of cash.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved to France from the UK, I wired money to my partner's French account and drew on that. Once I had an address, I was able to open my own bank account and she paid the money into that.

If you have a reliable friend in France already, maybe you could do that. You'll probably be charged for wiring the manoey from the US (I had to pay 10 Pounds, about 18 US Dollars), but it was safe, secure and I didn't need to carry large amounts of cash on me.
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about travellers cheques? One of the safest ways to carry large amounts and no waiting time for them to clear.

PT
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nobody travel with cash any more ? I do !
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid carrying large amounts of the stuff around with me 'cos I don't want to get robbed.
Jetset

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm facing the same problem myself, and have given me mum Power of attorney over my bank account so she can wire me money instantly.
Jamparis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel with cash, all the time, I can't deal with the hassel and the financial loss of the other options. I've being doing it 4 years and since others don't know I have it, I'm no more a target 4 a mugging than anyone else
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: