Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC/SABIS Schools - any views?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watertraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: ISC/SABIS Schools - any views? Reply with quote

I am considering going to the UAE to teach and am meeting a recruiter from the ISC school in Abu Dhabi in a couple of days. Does anybody have any comment to offer on either (i) their educational system or (ii) what they are like to work for?
I would appreciate any information about this. I teach in Cape Town and need to build as clear a picture as possible.

Thanks
hmbaba

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: ISC/SABIS Schools - any views Reply with quote

ICS - is that international schools of chouefait?
I think it's a Lebanese outfit with schools emirates-wide and maybe a couple overseas -
It has its own system, but also does GCSEs/A Levels, but sees its own exams as superior to these. Kids are locked into a system whereby they have exams every week in a special exams room. You might not like the methodology/philosophy of education.
They have lots of facilities and lots of activities - some kids enjoy the regime - some don't.
In Al Ain most kids are second language speakers.
watertraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks hmbaba

some of the posts in the job information journal on this site are quite negative so it's good to hear a more neutral view.
You're right that the ISC schools started in Lebanon, thus the "Chouiefat" in their title. This much I gleaned from the info package they e-mailed me.

Thyanks again
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Watertraveller

Glad to see you took my advice. When I read your message on TT, I seemed to remember that there had been some negative postings over here. It may depend on which branch you get assigned to - different managements - some good and some bad I expect.

Based on what hmbaba says, many teachers may not like the system.

Good luck getting more info. Unfortunately many teachers are already travelling for the summer.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: