Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is it to work with companies - teaching English etc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesolitis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: How is it to work with companies - teaching English etc? Reply with quote

How is it to work with companies - teaching English etc?

I plan to spend about 3 month in Costa Rica - San Jose area. I lived about 15 years in English speaking countries, including UK. I still have some non-english accent - I could never decide which version of English would be right for me. I am not a teacher by profession but very good at conveying thoughts and structures. I did no Tesol training, it would not turn me into an English language native.

I am considering a different approach in teaching while in CR:
I intend to instruct leader-type people, those who make important decisions, independent of their field and profession. Decisions are taken by superiors, researchers, designers, problem solvers and trouble shooters, marketers, sales and purchasing people, lots of people ... .
I can enhance their research, analysis, investigation abilities and increase their capabilites in finding better solutions in complex situations. I train them in using a very reliable tool kit of research and creativity principles, enhanced by strong evaluation abilities.

I plan do do this in slow English, 100% immersion. It will be almost 100% listening & talking. Grammar and style will be of secondary importance, as is common during discussions in any language. Of real importance is to understand what is exactly being talked about - in fact this is part of the research training mentioned. Definitely a language matter.

I am looking for guidance here in contacting the right kind of people with ease and at low cost, typically VP human resources for the upper levels, businss promotions and relations people, technological progress drivers and speciality marketers. This is not a mom & pop business course for pizza stores.

Help is very much appreciated. To print an information sheet from a PDF file, please go to
http://canmor.tripod.com/cont12.htm
and look for the course to be run winter 2005-6 in Costa Rica.

Thank you
Emil Zahner
[email protected]

This inquiry run under the title
Offering speciality education in San Jose - CR
which brought no response. I hope the change in title will get it moving.

Last edited by tesolitis on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find teaching to the executive crowd common practice in San Jose, as well as a number of other Latin American capitals and large cities. There are many language schools that have a compnay unit to send teachers out to such classes.

If you're going freelance, and you plan to market something other than an English class, you might find some clients. There are such teachers and programs where I am in Mexico City, or at the very least, English classes given as workshops in various business and communication themes.

If I understand you correctly, what you're planning to do is nothing particuarly new (sorry, don't mean to sound harsh in any way). I would suggest picking up a few EFL business series to get a look at what's already being done. Check out Market Leader, Oxford Business Objectives, Cambridge New International Business, as well as a slew of other titles, some with a tight focus on writing, business communications, presentation, etc, etc.

To connect to the 'leader-types' as you mention, you'll have to network. Embassies are a place to start, Chambers of commerce, professional associations...or cold calling the big boys.

Hope that helps!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tesolitis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: How is it to work with companies - teaching English etc? Reply with quote

thanks for your valid tips.
"nothing particuarly new"
The general approach of competitors is to provide for "what to do" answers. The principles I convey are of the "how to do" type, especially if there is no previous case or example to draw from. May be not new, but grossly underused. (This includes How to figure out What to do).

"cold calling the big boys" is probably best, the rest takes too much time.
Like anywhere , the point of resistance is to get past everyone who fences the guy who signs the order. Is there some org in San Jose who might serve as the break-through device? The max. 3 month include settling in to delivery. It is my first CR visit.

I like Mexity but not its pollution.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico City has been quite nice the last 2 years...nowhere near as much pollution as in years past. Do pay us a visit! Very Happy

Can't think of a place where you can meet everyone at once to pitch your wares. Maybe some other teachers in CR would be willing to share some insights.
Quote:

The general approach of competitors is to provide for "what to do" answers. The principles I convey are of the "how to do" type, especially if there is no previous case or example to draw from. May be not new, but grossly underused. (This includes How to figure out What to do).

Well, I won't argue with you...it's your ballgame. I'm off to a class in about half an hour with such an executive, and we're working on the 'how to do' stuff too.

Are you only staying three months? That's very short...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tesolitis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: stay duration Reply with quote

Quote:
That's very short...

I agree. I should get an idea during this stay whether to try and retire to CR permanently.
Mexico has its nice sides too, I only know M City a little and Acapulco for several month, Nov-Mar only.
The project in the thread is a test too, I don't depend on it income-wise. Love to do it - though.
Got bored in Acapulco, so started writing. Never bothered to sell the words. It was fun to write and is fun to read again about what happened to me there.

How do you sell your knowledge to your clients in Mcity?

great to talk to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: