Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studying Chinese......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Studying Chinese...... Reply with quote

Hello Taiwan forum- In the not too distant future I would like to study Mandarin inTW. Really. Not just as a way to get there and work. Although I would work part time and have fun I hope. My questions are not about the visa - that can be sorted later. The issue is WHERE to enroll. Should it be at a Uni and is this expensive and do the terms start year - round???? Also to find a place to live would Taepai make the most sense ?? I have never been there but on a good day I could swim it from where I am. Any thoughts on this would be cool...
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taichung is a great place to study but there is not much work. You may be able to survive but that is about it. One of my colleagues calls Taichung a Mecca for students of Mandarin. The local universities have a deal with the FAP in Taichung. They will look the other way if you are working without permit so long as you are enrolled a local uni's Chinese program. I have even heard of people getting some sort of ARC/ work permit for this purpose.
Please note that it is in direct violation of R.O.C. law and if politics shift down there, you could be out on your ass.
wix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Taipei as the best place to study. As to whether to enrol in a University or language center it depends on your goals, but really I don't think it would make that much difference in terms of learning outcome. If you are enrolled in a university you can qualify for an ARC after 4 months.

Have a look at my web page: Studying Chinese in Taiwan
gerard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wix---a lot of info here. Excellent. I want standard Mandarin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: