Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Doha in 2 weeks...help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dohagirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Moving to Doha in 2 weeks...help! Reply with quote

Hi all - moving to Doha by month's end. For all of you that have been there for a while, can you offer up any insight as to the "must-bring" items? I'm from Canada - from what I understand, you can get everything quite easily in Doha as you would back home.

* Electricity - are adaptors/converters easily available? At most, I'd bring my stereo, hair dryer...etc. Would this be a hassle, or should I just invest in electronics there?

* Clothing. I realize it's desert heat. I'm trying to pack lightly as possible, with the hopes of buying some practical business-casual clothes there. Are "brand names" items outrageously priced - again, should I stock up at home? How is the shopping there in general?

* Housing. Do all of you live in compounds? Trying to wrap my head around these communities...can anyone offer insight in terms of rental cost, and what's included (i.e. fully furnished, laundry...tv?)

* Is it absolutely necessary to buy a car there? Doha's quite small. Can I manage via taxi, or will this empty my pockets after a while?

* Foreigners - is there a large community of Int'l people like myself who have relocated there? If so - I'd love to hear from you!

Any other insights are MUCH appreciated!
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Doha in 2 weeks...help! Reply with quote

Welcome to Doha! Very Happy

-Electronic goods can be bought here- I found that they were cheaper than the UK. Best place to do this would be at carrefour- A French Hypermarket in City Centre, which is a large shopping mall.

-You'll find PLENTY of shops here in Doha depending on what names you are familiar with; I have found most places like Zara and Mango to be pretty reasonable- hardly anyone I know buys their clothes from Dubai/ or overseas...., but shops like Oasis are very expensive. There are quite a few shopping malls- in fact shopping is almost considered a national past time here! Laughing The sad thing, is that you don't get any traditional souks as you would in other parts of the world...

-I don't live in a compound, some foreigners (ie non Qatari's do) do but not all of them. It depends on who your employer is...some people get a housing allowance and are then left to find property...of which there are plenty but VERY VERY EXPENSIVE! Prices are going up all the time. Some people are having to share...I would say 5000 QR for a 2 bedroom apartment is the norm here, but this would of course be furnished...some have satellite TV, others don't. From what I hear the compunds are quite nice...but can't give you more info than that...maybe others on this site can give you more info...

-A car is essential here in Doha, I myelf am considering getting one...taxis are plenty and there are two types the blue ones- more modern, air conditioned and the older orange style, which are less expensive. l'll give you an example If I travel somewhere and it takes me 10 mins, the blue taxi may take 7 riyals while the orange ones about 4 or so and both are metered...the problem is also the heat...waiting for a taxi is not something to be experienced! Confused

-There are more expats here than Qataris! You'll find lots of nationalities here- it's easy to make friends and network, there are lots of opportunities. I would say get a hold of Marhaba it's a magazine which comes out three times a year and has tonnes of information on organisations, joining a sports club, eating out, etc....there's also another one, which comes out every month...can't remember the name.. Confused

Doha is a nice, safe, pleasant and comfortable city to live in. It's booming at a mind boggling rate and so you'll find that in the next year or so, even more people will come to live/work here...oh yeah one more thing Doha is as you said small! Don't be surprised if you see the same people everywhere you go Very Happy

Hope this helps- Good luck Smile
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chic...You should get out more ...'no traditional souks'!!!! Shocked

What is the spice market opposite HSBC and the covered Iranian souk off the Corniche then?

Also the animal souk and ceramics/flower souks further afield can be classed as traditional!

There is also a covered souk area full of linen/cloth/silk souks.

The monthly magazine by the way is called 'Qatar Happening' and should you wish to drive down to Mesaieed on a Sunday to see the twice yearly vegetable show it will point out where to go!!!!
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Wonder wrote:
Chic...You should get out more ...'no traditional souks'!!!! Shocked

I meant it in the sense of the souks that you would get say in Cairo- khan el khalili, where they have been around for a long time- that's what I mean!

I have been to the ones you mentioned, but selling things like pirate DVDs etc..is not my idea of a "traditional" souk Laughing
dohagirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! QatarChic - a question: where do you live? In a Qatari-run house/apartment?

* Another question: I'm an avid runner. How many strange stares would I get if I ran along the Corniche in workout gear (i.e. tank and shorts). I certainly don't want to offend, or not be mindful of customs.

* Do you guys get to travel to the outer parts of the country? I hear that sand skiing (sand boarding?) is quite fun. Anything else people do to "get out of the city".
Richard_Gao

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Doha in 2 weeks...help! Reply with quote

Qatar uses UK style plugs. Bring adaptors if you can, esp. from airport. In my travel experience, it's usually very hard to find adaptors once you leave the airport.

There are compound (both villas and apartments), individual villas or apartment buildings. Compound is more expensive than outside for the same quality. Cost between 1000 all the way to 8000 US$ / month.
Fully furnished is an option. Add around 500$ / month. Another option is semi-furnished, which means white goods and AC. But empty, with holes on the walls (for AC) is more common, esp. for outside villa.

* Is it absolutely necessary to buy a car there? Doha's quite small. Can I manage via taxi, or will this empty my pockets after a while?

Orange taxi is cheap. Green taxi is reasonable. Limo is the most expensive. Cross town trip is around 4, 7, 12 US$ respectively. But the biggest problem is finding them on the street. And you don't want to be standing in the heat while waiting. Limo will come if you call them. But the others will not even bother showing up.

There're a lot of foreigners, Qataris make up only 270,000 of the total 850,000 population of Qatar. But the nationalities vary. If you mean white foreigners, there are some communities. The biggest overseas workers here are from India / Pakistan / Nepal / North Africa.

Bring valid driving license in English. If you make one from scratch here, it's very difficult.

Hotels are very expensive. Marriott costs close to 200 / night here. So secure your accommodation before coming.

Do not bring alcohol or cigarettes, if they see it, they'll dump it in the bin at the airport.

Bring map of Doha also, you can find on the web (www.explore-qatar.com).
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doha Girl ur welcome.....I live in a block of flats run and owned by a Qatari owned company...other people in the block are from Australia, Syria, South Africa etc...

There are things to do outdoors, but not while its boiling hot! I think come October/November you'll hve a better idea Smile As for running on the corniche...I have seen one or two, but maybe the tank top and shorts could be subsituted for t-shirt and jogging trousers ...you'd get less stares then Very Happy

Richard Gao- I found that I could get adaptos from Carrefour and Lulus! Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

dohagirl wrote:

* Another question: I'm an avid runner. How many strange stares would I get if I ran along the Corniche in workout gear (i.e. tank and shorts). I certainly don't want to offend, or not be mindful of customs.

Qatarchic and the gang have told you most of the details, but I want to stress this.

If you are mindful of customs, just remember that the Qataris are members of the Wahabi sect of Islam, one of the most conservative. Cavorting about in public half-naked (by their cultural norms) would seem to me highly disrespectful of the culture. I expect that you will see some foreigners doing it, but that doesn't mean it is acceptable.

The day it is appropriate for a foreign women to jog in tank and shorts will be the day you see Qatari women dressing that way while they jog on the Corniche. Laughing

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the road sign for there is a crossing ahead? Its a black woman in tradition dress. Maybe they should have another posted around the Corniche. A scantily dressed western woman jogging with a cross through it denoting it is haram. My ex-students would love it, they'd all take a photograph.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a picture of the sign or of the jogging female? (we know that they would love it... as it would confirm every horrible thing they assume about loose Western women...)

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we know that they would love it.
VS is correct. My students used to hang around starbucks in City centre and take pictures of western women with the phones. They would then share them with eachother.
If you did jog along the corniche wearing shorts and a vest you'd be the most photographed woman in Qatar. Best to stick to a running machine in a gym that has air con
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued that QatarChic feels it necessary to explain that in the Qatari context "foreigner" means "non-Qatari". What else could it mean ? "non-Canadian" ?
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats Arabic for foreigner? In turkish 'yabaanci' means foreigner and stranger. Is it the same word in Arabic?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejnebi in Fusha I believe...

Khawaga in Egyptian dialect...

Is their another Gulf term?
nowasta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dohagirl! Welcome to the board! You mentioned you are coming in two weeks and that you are Canadian. I know that the College of the North Atlantic didn't get the numbers they needed this summer and were planning on bringing people in for Oct. and Jan. Are you coming to work for them? If so, I could provide details of their housing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: