Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ph.D. faculty level positions in the ME?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most places with Freshman Comp hire MAs... done lots of those classes.

AbuFletcher is looking at places that are offering MA programs in which he could teach...

VS
abufletcher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I long ago concluded that having a Ph.D. has no real bearing on classroom EFL. If fact, I tend to think that's the case with MAs vs. EFL certificate + experience. I've seen far too many people with no formal TESL training do an outstanding job in the classroom These higher degrees are primarily of value for decisions made outside the classroom, issue like curriculum development, test design, materials selection, etc.

But as VS states I'm not looking for an EFL teaching position but rather a position teaching content courses within an MATESOL program. If I were to apply for a straight EFL position in the Gulf I wouldn't automatically assume that my Ph.D. would have much to do with my hiring. I'd assume the hiring committee would be primarily interested in my teaching experience.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any MATESOL programmes in the Gulf ? Maybe in Cairo ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scot.

If you read the beginning of this thread, we covered most of the available programs already... then we went into other options...

VS
Miss TESOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Here's a recent PhD post in case anyone's interested Reply with quote

Looks pretty good--anyone happen to know what the base salary would be for a PhD w/ several years experience?

Position: Core Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Communication Faculty
Salary: Unspecified
Institution: Petroleum Institute
Date posted: 10/3/2005

The Petroleum Institute
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Core Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Communication Faculty

The Core Program of The Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE) is seeking outstanding candidates for several positions in the following Departments. Appointments at all levels (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor) will be considered, depending on qualifications. Teaching at the Petroleum Institute involves an average of 12 contact hours per week with classes generally limited to 20 students. Teaching is in English. Although research is increasingly important, the present focus is on education. Excellent instructors will be rewarded with excellent remuneration. Applications from qualified female faculty members are particularly invited. Appointments are anticipated for Spring and Fall 2006.

Freshman Physics
Applicants should have an earned Ph.D. in physics or a closely related field from a well recognized university and demonstrated experience and achievement in teaching at the undergraduate level. Responsibilities include teaching calculus-based physics courses such as Physics I (Mechanics and Waves), Physics II (Electromagnetism and Optics) and Modern Physics, mentoring and advising of students, and curriculum development.

Freshman Communication
Applicants should have an earned Ph.D. (ESL/EFL, Applied Linguistics, Communications, Education, and Humanities & Social Sciences) from a well recognized university and have at least 3 years' experience and achievement in teaching at the undergraduate level. Communication Skills courses aim to meet the objectives of producing well rounded, autonomous lifelong learners who are able to use higher order thinking and communication skills required by professionals in the twenty-first century. Problem-solving and team-work is highlighted in project-based courses which develop the ability to articulate both orally, and in writing, academic, scientific and technical observations, ideas, and arguments. Project planning and time management skills are developed as students work in teams to gather and share information, leading to full written reports and multimedia oral research presentations.

Freshman Mathematics
Applicants should have an earned Ph.D. in mathematics or applied mathematics from a well recognized university and demonstrated experience and achievement in teaching at the undergraduate level. Responsibilities include teaching courses in English from Calculus I, II, III, Differential Equations, Statistics for Engineers, and Advanced Engineering Mathematics, mentoring and advising of students, and curriculum development.

Freshman Chemistry
Applicants should have an earned Ph.D. in Chemistry to teach General Chemistry I and II (Freshman level), and Physical Chemistry (Junior level). Appointments at all levels (Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor) will be considered, depending on qualifications, and applicants must have demonstrated experience and achievement in teaching. Chemistry courses at the Petroleum Institute include a significant laboratory component and require an average of 12 contact hours per week (actual class and laboratory time). The chemistry faculty also works closely with faculty from the five Engineering programs and the Foundation program in order to further develop and refine the chemistry curriculum. Comprehensive multi-discipline research facilities will come on line in the near future, and opportunities exist to pursue collaborative or individual scholarship.

Salary & Benefits
The total compensation package includes - a highly competitive tax-free (in UAE) 12-month base salary, accumulating annual gratuity, and a competitive benefits package comprising annual housing (at least $30,000), utilities, initial furnishings (~$10,000), free bus service, interest-free automobile purchase loan (~$27,000), education expenses (~$9,000 per child), free health service and insurance, relocation expenses, and generous leave with annual return tickets for the family. Applicants must be in good health and will be required to pass a pre-employment medical examination.

General Information:
The Petroleum Institute, which is affiliated with the Colorado School of Mines, is funded by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, BP, Shell, Total and JODCO and has the resources and commitment to become the premier engineering school in the region. The Petroleum Institute opened in September of 2001 and consists of newly-constructed office, laboratory, and classroom facilities as part of a rapidly expanding campus. The campus, located along a newly redeveloped coastal strip, will shortly feature new high quality in-house recreation and catering facilities. Further information about the Petroleum Institute can be obtained on the PI website at: www.pi.ac.ae.

Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, is a modern city of ~600,000 with direct air links to most parts of the world. Theatres, an international film series, art exhibitions, and music concerts provide ample cultural opportunities. Although founded just 34 years ago, the Emirates is one of the most rapidly-developing nations on earth. Citizens comprise a moderate Muslim society in which freedom of religion prevails and women are respected and free to dress in western clothes without coverings.

How to Apply:
Interested qualified candidates should submit a letter of application and a detailed resume electronically to Mohamed Kassim at: [email protected]. Please only submit a hardcopy application if you are unable to do so electronically to:

Mohamed Kassim
Executive Director's Office
The Petroleum Institute
PO Box 2533, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible, indicating their timeframe of availability. Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2005 and
continue until the available positions have been filled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Information:

E-mail : [email protected]
Mohamed Kassim
Executive Director's Office
The Petroleum Institute
PO Box 2533
Abu Dhabi
United Arab Emirates
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abufletcher, did we discuss this one? We have a mutual friend there.

VS
Miss TESOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Plz, do discuss! Reply with quote

Plz, do discuss! What's the base salary for this post? Does your *friend* enjoy working at PI?

Thx

Miss TESOL
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a person that AbuF and I worked with in the past, and I have never communicated with him personally, but PI has a good reputation and pays well. He has told other mutual friends that he is very happy with the job. (though it is not in EFL) There used to be a post in the Job Information Journal about the place.

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does PI only hire those with PhDs?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Gordon... I know that they had ads in the past for MAs, but this position requires a PhD. They have four levels of EFL classes below the level of this 'Freshman Communication' course. I am guessing that those courses are taught by MAs.

VS
abufletcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, my, my! That does look rather intriguing! And just when I had just about given up on the idea of returning to the Middle East.

With a Ph.D. in Communication Studies, 12 years of ESP teaching in the Gulf, a further 12 teaching applied ling and cross-cultural communication courses elsewhere (Mexico, Japan, and the US), as well as a graduate course on scientific (Powerpoint-assisted) presentations, this sounds right up my alley.

Guess I'm check it out. Thanks for the heads-up on this one!

--Don
Miss TESOL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Females particularly invited to apply? Reply with quote

Any reason why females are particularly encouraged to apply? Is the PI a co-ed environment? Or perhaps the male students need a bit of "mothering" . . .

Thx,

Miss T
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is complete speculation... but there is an American university involved. They may be getting problems from the US organizations that enforce equal rights in hiring. AMIDEAST had lots of problems when they were handling the MLI hiring - the military said no women - and US law forbids advertising a job for men only. Finally the military was convinced that women teachers could actually teach male students. (what a concept!!)

I really don't know if they have sexually integrated classes or not. I had assumed that it was all men, but that could have changed.

Just pondering... perhaps if AbuFletcher learns anything about that, he could share it. Laughing

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that they're planning to expand their programme to include women in the foreseeable future. I don't think they're planning to have mixed classes, though.

They've already had (or maybe still have) one or more females on their teaching staff. PI is affiliated to the Colorado School of Mining (think I've got the name right, though maybe it's the Colorado School of Mines), which apparently enjoys a good reputation in the USA. Could be that they've said they'd like a more equal balance of male to female teachers. Don't know how much weight that'd carry here, though .... maybe PI just realises that a balance of males vs females makes for better staff relations - or does it?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spicegirl wrote:
.... maybe PI just realises that a balance of males vs females makes for better staff relations - or does it?

I suspect so... maybe? probably...

I see phd thesis topic here...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: