Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Germany
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Teaching in Germany Reply with quote

Hey all, I have been reading through some of the discussions recently and some of it has been pretty helpful but I was wondering if people knew how to grap a job as a teacher in Germany(Mainz).
I have a teaching degree and have taught in England b4.
I don't speak German but will learn quickly.

I know all there is to know about the unemployment level in Germany, but was hoping people might have some specific information on how/where to get a job.

I'm looking at teaching at an English speeking school as a regular teacher all the wy through to afternoon English classes for Adults.

any ideas?

astr0_b0y in Australia
yumyumkorea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

First, you won't get a school to pay for your flight, or even probably get any form of accommodation for you. As you may have read from the boards, the market is depressed in Germany at the moment, and the days of flight tickets and paid flats have gone (for the moment).

Your best bet is simply to get on a plane and arrive, choose the town you want (you mention Mainz), then do the rounds of all the schools in the area. Arrive on their doorsteps and ask for work, if you're lucky they will need a teacher and you may be hired.

Not speaking German may be a problem, I know of teachers who have no/little German, but the norm here seems to be a pretty good knowledge of the lingo. As for learning quickly, maybe if you immerse yourself, but unless you're a bit of a linguist you may find it hard going. (4 cases, 3 genders, 72 possible declensions, 6 ways of saying 'the'). That's unless you just want the 'pidgin' version of course.

Even if you get 'hired' you will definitely be on a 'freelance' basis, this may mean one or two lessons a week to get started, if they like you, you could gradually build up your clientele, as for private lessons, without German that will be problematical. If you stick at it, and are lucky, you may be able to hold your head above water after 4,5,6 months or so.

To begin with I would look at spending savings to keep going for at least the first 2 months, and probably more.

Enough of the negativity, if you really want to do it, get on a plane and arrive, do the rounds of all the schools in your area, learn German, and (in sha' allah), you'll have some kind of life after 6 months or so.
poro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yumyumkorea wrote:

Not speaking German may be a problem, I know of teachers who have no/little German, but the norm here seems to be a pretty good knowledge of the lingo. As for learning quickly, maybe if you immerse yourself, but unless you're a bit of a linguist you may find it hard going. (4 cases, 3 genders, 72 possible declensions, 6 ways of saying 'the').

I agree with that, but think that German is not so hard for an English-speaker.

Last edited by poro on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poro wrote:
declensions

Question
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: I see Reply with quote

THanx for the tips so far, i'll keep them in mind.

just a note: I have already bought my flight ticket and already have accomodation lined up, it's just the job I need.

Any thoughts on jobs I could "easily" pick up, even if unrelated to education?

astr0
yumyumkorea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon your nationality. You mention that you are in Australia, if you're an Oz you may have problems working legally. If you've got an EU passport try Frankfurt airport, there are dozens of security firms there who will hire people mainly for their knowledge of English, some will not even expect much German. Of course the pay will not be spectacular, maybe as low as 6 or 7 euros an hour. You'll also be in the Mainz area.
poro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
poro wrote:
declensions

Question

A system of cases and case endings, Hod.
freddie's friend daniel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't that many English-speaking schools and you are not likely to be hired by the ones that there are unless you have a teaching license (i.e. a qualification as a school teacher in Australia).
You mentioned afternoon adult classes- be aware that most adult classes are in the evenings. Most new teachers in language schools end up with the most inconvenient timetables. You might find yourself with a class at 7:30 in the morning, followed by nothing much until 5 or 6pm and finishing at 9:30.
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Such Pesimism Reply with quote

I do have my degree in Teaching (Primary).........

The more posts that I see here, the more depressing my situations seems to become.

Does anyone have any 'positive' suggestions about getting a job in Mainz in early December.

At this stage I don't think I can be fussy, so any suggestions (possitive) would be really helpful.

Matt in Australia
butterbrot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: December? Not! Reply with quote

Astroboy,

Sorry, I have more bad news for you. There will probably be absolutely zero work for you in Germany anytime during December.

The Germans don't do classes during the month of December and it's one of the several slowest months of the year. There won't be classes beginning again until after the first week in January and most don't begin again until middle January to early February.

If you can wait, you should. Otherwise you'll be spending your savings sitting around waiting for a course to come your way in January and whatever work you do manage to get for January you won't be paid until mid-February.

There is so much information in this Germany forum that I'd be surprised if this hasn't been mentioned before. No one should try to start out teaching in Germany - if they don't have a guaranteed job - during the holidays or the summer.
freddie's friend daniel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Matt, I overlooked the teaching qualification bit. I do know one Australian teacher (primary school qual.) who got a pretty cushy job in a regular German school teaching English but her parents were both German, she was pretty fluent in the language, and the job arrived largely through connections and luck.

I have to reiterate what Butterbrot wrote about the job market in December. I was hired for my first language-school job in December but I was told that my contract wouldn't actually begin until mid-way through January. Unless you have enough money to tide you over, you could be having a pretty miserable Christmas!
astr0_b0y

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

what about a job in Mainz unrelated to teaching to tide me over?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preference is given to those with nationality from another EU member state.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: without German Reply with quote

If you don't speak any German just what sort of a job did you have in mind in a country where they do speak German? With 5.5 million unemployed in Germany was there some skill you have that the 5.5 million Germans don't have?
yumyumkorea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned your lack of German will be a major problem on the employment front.

As I posted before, your only chance is probably at Frankfurt airport. This is within commuting distance of Mainz.

A major security firm has a recruiting web page in English, so presumably they are not too worried about German knowledge.

With regard to teaching in a public school, I believe you have to have a German accredited teaching qualification. So far as I know, this would involve you taking some kind of course at a German Uni, or Fachhochschule. They are unlikely to accept an Australian qualification, since they do not even accept British PGCE certificates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: