Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaga
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogan:

Regarding the chains that recently went bankrupt: Opening and Oxford made it very clear in their recruitment materials that they were not interested in anyone without EU passports, and that included non-EU people who already had their work and residency papers. I might add as well that many of the franchises of those chains preferred EU citizens with NO TEFL qualifications, as anyone who had completed a TEFL program would have taken issue with their computer-based language learning (as in the case of Opening, for example.) In Madrid, that also included "teachers" whose first language was not English.

Having been here in Madrid for the last number of years, I can certainly say that the work market for illegal teachers has NOT subsided. I don�t know of one teacher in Madrid who is screaming for work: right now, the opposite is happening. In May and June, a fair number of British teachers (six in my academy alone) went back to London as soon as they found better-paid work in the UK, and those of us who are left (especially North Americans, Australians and New Zealanders) are carrying significantly larger workloads as a result.

I cannot speak for the coastal areas, and those areas where there are greater populations of English speakers. I can say that those of us working in Madrid are doing fairly well.

Frankly, I�m happy that the "chapuzas" went under. I now have a comfortable income thanks to the private lessons I have from former students of Opening, Wall Street and Oxford English.

Best,

Sev
seriouslydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: yes, but... Reply with quote

I think everyone is missing the point which is that Hemingway only has one m.

Also, I have seen no evidence to suggest Hemingway ever squashed grapes in Spain.

seriously,

dog

Hemingway biographer and former contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
avahanian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: the naysayers return! Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
Some people just don't listen to the advice they ask for. Exclamation Exclamation

You should know that the 4 largest Teaching franchise chains have gone bust and closed down so opportunities are fewer than they were previously.

Hearsay evidence from 4 or 5 or 6 years ago is useless.

Come to Europe.
Work illegally.
Get busted.
Get thrown out.

Hi Rogan,

You lot are forgetting one very important concept.....the difference between the law as it is written in Spain, and the law as it is practised in Spain....this is a very important distinction!

the latter is far more important....the fact of the matter is, the authorities are not at all interested in deporting Americans and Australians who overstay their tourist visas and who are English teachers.

I agree that some people don't listen to the advice they are given....but does that mean we should paint a grim picture for them? No it doesn't....it means we should be accurate. And the fact remains that it is nearly impossible for you (as an American, Australian, or other non EU English speaker) to get deported unless you do something very stupid (like turn yourself in to the authorities), or become a pimp or a drug dealer.

The opportunities, as Sev mentioned, are not fewer than they were previously....if anything, at least in Madrid, they are the same or more !

Forget the rubbish schools such as Wall Street and Opening....the smaller schools are always better, more friendly, and more reliable !

If anyone out there wants a realistic and accurate description, free of all the doom and gloom, feel free to ask
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Just to add on the Madrid front Reply with quote

I taught in Madrid from Jan to July this year,and had a couple of teacher friends without EU passports.
All of them found work, some of it well paid and some of it not. A lot depended on how much front they had and how hard they looked for work.
None of them ever got deported, nor did I hear of anyone being deported.
Getting set up in Madrid you probably need a bit of cash behind you, the hardest thing to find in Madrid isn't work but an affordable apartment.
I loved Madrid and want to go back one day.
The only other Spainish city I know a bit about is Barcelona, there is a lot more teachers there, so the pay seemed to be less, oh and learning a new language (Catalan) Smile.
Hope it helps
Pete.
feel free to PM me if you've got any Qs and I'll try and answer them.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: