Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What am I worth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teraysah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: What am I worth? Reply with quote

Hi Everybody
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to teach overseas and I'm toggling between Kuwait and a couple of other countries. Would anyone out there happen to know what I could expect for pay and benefits with my qualifications?

I have a B.S. in Sociology but I've been teaching survival English and citizenship to refugees for over 10 years. I don't have a TEFL or TESOL certificate but I do have an ESL teaching certificate for the state of Arizona.

I'm also married to an Iranian. Would that affect anything?
Sara Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want to apply to and how you go about doing it. Pay also depends on whether or not the employer thinks you're a native English speaker.

If you come to Kuwait and apply to a job here, you won't get the benefits you might from a recruiter: no insurance, paid travel expenses, housing, etc..

But if you apply from abroad, those are incentives they will throw at you to get you here.

I also have a Sociology degree and it hasn't been a problem getting a job with language or regular K-12 schools. Having experience is a plus, but don't expect it to land you more pay. There are teachers here who have worked for 8 years and still haven't seen a significant pay raise. They make just as much as a novice which is typically between 450-600KD/month.

But if you apply to HumanSoft or some other language institution and you don't look American, it doesn't matter if you can write a 1,000 word thesis on the political instability of Greece, you'll still get a non-native salary of 450KD as opposed to the native base of 750KD.

The university isn't much better pay wise, but I doubt you can get a job there without an MA regardless of the experience you've had.

750KD may seem like a lot of money at first, but if you have no housing or transportation compensation it's not a lot at all. A single bedroom apartment with no furniture can cost you 150KD/month. Add in the expenses for furniture, food, phone, internet, etc.. and there's not a lot left to save. My advice is to definitely check out other options aside from Kuwait.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: