Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

taxes.... again.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: taxes.... again. Reply with quote

this is a quote from the tealit site:

"183 Days
Q: I have just gotten a job and an ARC, but I've been here four months already! Do those first months count toward my 183 days?
A: Yes. The 183 day total is calculated by the time you've been here, not by what you were doing. It goes by the dates in your passport, exclusive of the first day. If you came on January 1st, but didn't get an ARC until May 2nd, you would have to pay 20% tax for just two months. The 183 days are figured by your arrival date: you arrived 4 months ago, so, even though you are just getting your ARC and beginning to work, those first 4 months are included toward your 183 days."

reading this, i 'm led to believe that i begin paying the 20% income tax from the day that i receive my ARC. now, i've been working here for over two months, and still don't have an ARC although I'll likely have it by the end of june. When I was paid my last month's salary this week, my employer tried to deduct tax from me in the amount of 20%. I mentioned that I had no ARC yet and that i shouldn't be paying tax. The reply was that "the government doesn't recognize the ARC for tax purposes, only the working visa." at any rate, she relented and said that she wouldn't deduct tax for the past month, but that she would next month.

after my first month in taiwan, i did a visa run to bangkok (at my own expense). the visa that i have in my passport was issued in bangkok and in order to get that, i had a document from my agent (in chinese) that apparently allowed me to get the 60 day visa, although the visa only indicates "visitor" status. now, some people have mentioned that the 20%tax has to be paid from the moment your ARC is issued until you've accrued 183 days in taiwan, and my employer is telling me something different, that i hae to start paying tax now because i have a "working" visa (that says nothing about work on it).

i've tried to find a local person who can help me find the labour laws in print, but have had no luck and since i only have 3 other colleauges, who all came from different places under different circumstances, none of our cases are exactly the same. i'm confused. who's right? when am i responsible for paying the tax? now or after my ARC is issued?

warmest regards ~ 7969
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ARC is in no way linked to your requirement to pay taxes. Even if you are working illegally you are required to pay taxes. I do not pretend to understand the logic of that statement but it is a fact. You just can't get a refund without your ARC/work permit.
If your employer has reported your income to the tax department you must pay taxes. Even if you have no ARC. You can only get a refund if you have been paying taxes for 183 days from your arrival date or payed more than the required amount and have an ARC/ work permit.
Your employer doesn't tell you much because they always hope you will just disappear and they can pocket your tax with holdings or they don't know. Get a pay receipt signed and stamped by your school. Take all the papers to the tax office and ask for help. The are pretty good at what they do and half way honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: