Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fair starting wage (not with NET)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lori

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: fair starting wage (not with NET) Reply with quote

Hi everbody. I am about to sign a contract with Delia School of Canada (this is your chance to warn me!) to teach kindergarden and they are offering $17,000 - $20,000 (depending on whether my Literary Studies degree counts as English). They are offering airfare and big loan upfront as well as two weeks in a hotel with I find my own place. I know this is way less than NET but I'm not willing to wait however long it would take to go that route. What I want to know is would I be a fool to take this? To turn it down? Will I be living in poverty? Will I be able to travel? Question Question Question Question Confused
growler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: probably, probably not Reply with quote

Hi Lori,

I'm teaching at a local kindergarten and on the same band of salary you mentioned in your post. I live comfortably on that salary, only because I don't have to pay for accomodation. I have been fortunate enough to live in a friend's unoccupied apartment, rent free.
Arju is right, you won't have much to put away. I probably won't have anything to put away if I had to pay $7000 rent money per month.
I work 8.45-4.45 Mon-Fri, 17 teaching hours per week which I think is fairly reasonable for the salary I'm getting. ESF kindergartens pays a lot more (at least $10k more), but the workload is much greater. I'd thought an international school would pay more than a local school. So, are you getting a good deal?

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: