Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$$ ESL jobs in Mexico $$

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcbingman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: $$ ESL jobs in Mexico $$ Reply with quote

Hey-does anybody know about what the going rate is right now for private (perhaps one-on-one) jobs in Mexico?

Also, what's typical for language schools to pay?

Thanks,
bcbingman
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the city/region. What part of Mexico are you interested in? The economy in different parts of the country is actually quite different. I went to the MEXTESOL convention in Monterrey last year and Oaxaca might as well be a different nation. For example in my city it would be difficult to find any students who would/could pay more than 50 pesos an hour for one on one classes. (So most teachers I know won't bother with privates) I know a couple of teachers that were giving some small group classes for 150 an hour for a group up to five students. And I hear that 100 to 150 is the going rate in Mexico City for one on one, so it really depends on what part of Mexico. At the moment I'm teaching a group of children of university professors outside of my work at the university. There are eight kids in the group and they each pay 25 pesos a lesson, which gives me a sweet 200 a lesson. We meet twice a week, so my months rent 1600 pesos is paid by this one class. Freeing up my salary for extras on the house I'm building and wedding costs. Wink

I think language schools pay around 40-80 an hour all over the country. But make sure they will give you a contract for a certain number of hours or if student numbers drop you may find your self with only a few hours a week.
bcbingman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm most interested in Mexico City, or perhaps Guadalajara....I hear it's a pretty cool college town.
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcbingman wrote:
Guadalajara....I hear it's a pretty cool college town.

I would hardly consider a city with a population of almost 4 million a college town!
bcbingman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Guadalajara still pulls it off Reply with quote

Guadalajara, to me, had the feel of a college town. Everybody is so young! Myself, being an ancient 30, I found Guad to be pretty cool. Guad has some of the most attractive women in the country and more gay bars per square foot than you'd think possible for macho Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: amazing Reply with quote

How amazing that Guy would comment on beautiful women and gay bars in the same sentence!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: