Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jamaica
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanie, have you studied at the University of the West Indies? I wonder if I could get a teaching certification there and then teach in an international school somewhere that pays better. I would also like to study another langauge.
seanie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't able to answer earlier.

Yes, I did undergrad at UWI. I don't know of any ESL/EFL courses, but you can get a teaching certificate which could get you a job elsewhere (The US and the UK recruit teachers from Jamaica). You could do the Diploma in Education offered at the Mona Campus in Kingston.

When I was an undergrad, there used to be language courses for occasional students. I don't think it would be a problem for you to sign up with the Mod Languages Dept although you are registered as a student in the Faculty of Education. Maybe you could even make some extra money tutoring German.

Alles Gute:-)

(is that correct?)
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanie,Alles gut is fine. Or Machst gut? I actually got to speak some German last night with a guy from Switzerland. As for the teaching certification I do not want to get certified to teach ESL. I want to get certified to teach History or Social Studies. I have a BA in Philosophy and Political Science. I need the certification to teach in an international school. I am going to teach ESL for a while and save some money. It would be interesting to study in Jamacia if I could become a certified teacher there.

Well I should be off to teach ESL in Brazil in February 2006. So we will see how things work out.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad but is it as bad as I've been told?
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Go for it! Reply with quote

I support your adventurious spirit and say go for it in Jamiaca!

I similarly did the same thing-- but in Trinidad. I lived there for a year and yes there were language schools. I made some contacts and was advised to do so private lessons. It worked out well, I did not get rich but enjoyed a year working with kids, eating fresh food, enjoying the beaches, making good friends and working out. ( I did bring a few extra $$ so I did not have the stress of worrying about the little dialy expenses)

And I got married--the last thing I was looking for!
But I was blessed to fall in love with a beautiful Caribbean woman.
We bought a piece of property on the beach.... Currently we are living back in the states to save and build a house over the next few years to go back and live.

I have also been to Jamiaca and many other Islands and trust me, the culture and geography are intoxicating and enchanting.

Also, contact the ministry of education, you may be able to get on as a contract teacher in their primary or secondary schools. Also, the Islands are full of private Catholic and Christian based schools. And dont forget the different NGO's ( Non-Government Organization or non-profits). Before you go get some letters of references and a notorized copy of your degree as well as transcripts. You never know who you might meet and what doors will open.

Lastly, when I was in Jamiaca, I met a 65 year old hippy from the US that came to Jamiaca when he was 24 to do some surfing----guess what? He never left. She (the Island) held him warm and sweet with her magic.

The bottom line is that it will be an experience that is priceless and you wil have memories that will last you a lifetime Very Happy

If you have any questions, email me at: [email protected]

Good luck and best wishes
Michael Smile
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced that Jamaica is unlike any other place on earth!
Definitely worth the while to "scrounge" for a job there. Even Kingston, with all the crime, is an awesome city. UWI Mona campus is stunning. I envy anyone who works or studies there.

Go Windies Cricket!
Jamparis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Jamaican in France Reply with quote

I studied at the UWI and didn't realise it at the time, but having gone back to visit now realise that that campus is really great!

While a student at the university, I taught EFL to several diplomats, from Asia in particular and had numerous very memorable sessions with a young hearing impaired adopted Thai girl who needed to learn to read and to articulate, that was a rewarding experience. As someone mentioned there is a private school that caters to that market and you might just be able to garner several teaching hours from them, but not enough to be financially stable, Jamaica can be quite expensive.

There a few "crime free zones" even in Kingston, just do your homework before taking the plunge!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: