Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of posts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Lack of posts Reply with quote

I am a little surprised at the lack of posts in the NA Forum. This isn't Qatar or Turkmenistan. There are so many people in the ESL field in Canada and the U.S., so why isn't anyone writing? Are people just too busy? Is the TV that good? Do N.Americans not use this site? Feel free to give us your thoughts on this profound topic. Wink

Last edited by Gordon on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
denise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that most North American teachers (myself included) teach elsewhere. I know nothing about the Canadian situation, but there just aren't that many jobs in the States. Demographics, basically.

I could, of course, be completely mistaken.

d
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that many N.Americans are abroad. However I know in Vancouver alone there are hundreds of ESL schools.

Many teachers overseas would like to return to N.A. at some point and want to stay abreast as to what the work situation is like there.

Where are you people?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from North Americkay... not much work here. Confused

Last edited by khmerhit on Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon wrote:
Many teachers overseas would like to return to N.A. at some point and want to stay abreast as to what the work situation is like there.Where are you people?

I know someone who has a BA and a TEFL certificate. She is doing admin work at a language school in Vancouver. I was chatting online with her this morning and asked about the employment situation in Vancouver, as I would like to try teaching there after my current contract. She told me that full-time jobs are few and far between.

Maybe no one from Vancouver is writing because they don't want to help the competition... ?
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Japan. I am not certified, so I would need to be in order to teach in New York. I think at some point I will go back but I prefer living abroad.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: "teachers" Reply with quote

Depends on the kind of teacher you're referencing. Most of the ESL teachers that visit the board here are uncertified to teach in public schools in North America. There are thousands of certified ESL teachers with stable jobs in the public sector who probably do not ever post to Dave's. At the college level, most ESL teachers here have at least master's degrees. They too, seem to avoid posting here, for the most part. There are very few private ESL schools outside of major metro areas. There are very few full-time jobs here for non-certified teachers or instructors without a master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics.

My experience is that EFL teachers outside the US/Canada post to the ESL Cafe primarily, but those with more credentials (and most of the US ESL jobs) do not.
denise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now the next question is: Why do those folks (certified, ESL as opposed to EFL, living in N.A.) avoid us on the forum? Crying or Very sad We're a jolly lot! Lack of relevance, I suppose--in their home environment, they don't really need to know how to cope "abroad."

d
Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denise said
Quote:
Why do those folks (certified, ESL as opposed to EFL, living in N.A.) avoid us on the forum?

I don't think it is a matter of avoidance.
Most of the ESL teachers I worked with in Canada were too busy with their hectic lives to go overseas. They thought they'd have to give up too much. So many think teaching in a foreign land was like the scene from "Good Morning Vietnam" and so are too scared to go overseas. If you have a family, like I do, it is a lot more complicated and you get a lot more choosy about where you would live. If I was single, I could go anywhere and live anywhere, but not anymore.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, speaking for myself, I don't avoid this forum, but there doesn't seem to be much action on it. Wink I'll throw a question out there anyway. How many reading this are teaching in NA right now, and where are you? Very Happy

P.S. Gordon, I'm envious. I wish I could be teaching in Japan or some other intriguing locale. However, as a single mom it's pretty difficult. Plus, my daughter's father (who lives in England, by the way) doesn't want me to take our daughter anywhere outside of North America (except for England, of course). *sigh* Rolling Eyes
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capergirl, that's too bad that your ex-husband (I assume) won't let you take your daughter to another country. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I believe it is really good for a child to grow up in a foreign country, learn a new language and experience a new culture. However, they must have a stable environment. Of course that applies everywhere, but in your home country, you'd most likely have family and government support.

BTW, how old is your daughter? My daughter is almost 2 and is learning lots of Japanese already. She'll be teaching me next year. Laughing
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-fiance actually. Wink I understand why he is hesitant, though. He was with me in Korea and Taiwan, and not all of our experiences were positive. If you have been reading my posts, you probably have some idea. Razz In any case, it would be really tough to make that kind of a move with a preschooler by myself. (She's 3, almost 4, by the way. Smile )

I shouldn't complain because I do have a great job teaching ESL at a university here. However, wanderlust gnaws at me. Wink Perhaps when she is a bit older, he will reconsider. We'll see. I may end up taking her to England for a while. In spite of what I've been told, it's not that hard to get an ESL post there and the money is not bad. Cool
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What uni are you at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UCCB, Corey. Where are you? Smile
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Does the ESL program there require an MA or PhD. ?

I am currently in Costa Rica but I will be returning home soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: