Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas contracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prophetNZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Overseas contracts Reply with quote

Hello all,

I posted this in another forum but had no replies, I was hoping someone out there might be able to clear this up.

I have been asked (by a company in New Zealand) to do a short contract job in a German company. This one time, one month contract is being organised by the company based in New Zealand to which I am an external contractor. The German company will pay the NZ company for my services and I will receive a fee from the NZ company, this fee will be held in my NZ bank account and used when I travel back home on holiday to NZ.

I currently live in Germany, pay tax here etc, so I would like to know if I have to pay tax to NZ (where I am contracted for the job) or Germany (where I am a freelance teacher and am currently living and intending to stay).

I have been offered advice that I only need to pay tax in NZ but I have also heard about double tax etc. I want to do all this legally without being hit too hard.

I hope this isn't too confusing
Thanks,
ProphetNZ
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a question for a tax accountant. You are unlikely to get accurate information here.
prophetNZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Sounds like a question for a tax accountant. You are unlikely to get accurate information here.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. The advice you gave is well taken, though it may be possible someone on the forum has had a similar experience and may offer their thoughts. This is a far more advantageous medium to approach before opening my wallet.
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Ask the company Reply with quote

Have you tried asking the people who will be contracting out your services? I'm sure they've dealt with this issue before.
poro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pay tax in the country in which you are resident for tax purposes. So if you live in Germany, that's where you ought to be paying your taxes.

Note, however, that you won't have to declare your earnings until you submit your tax returns in the following year. I believe in Germany you have to do this by the end of March - but, you can apply for an extension which would allow you to delay submittal until the end of September, or thereabouts. (And of course, if the NZ company doesn't actually pay you this year, but in 2006, you won't have to declare it until 2007).

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you need any more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: