Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional Visa Pages for US passports ( I am in Salalah)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GabeKessel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Additional Visa Pages for US passports ( I am in Salalah) Reply with quote

Hi, everyone,

I am in Salalah and I have recently noticed that I am running out of blank visa pages in my US passport- too much traveling. How does one get extra pages put in? Does one need to fly to Muscat for that? Can it be done from Salalah? How long does it take? Any suggestions?

Your comments will be most appreciated,

Gabe
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you just call the US Embassy in Muscat. As US Embassies go, the Oman one has always been pretty helpful. (many in the world treat us fellow citizens as intrusive bothers...)

Hopefully you can send it up by DHL or some such...

VS
GabeKessel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am fully aware of the "call the embassy" option. I basically wanted to know if anyone had new pages put in while in Salalah and if the courier was OK and what forms were needed and how long it took, etc.

The embassy was in fact helpful but you know, one always wants to ask colleagues before taking the official steps.

I am still trying to call various couriers and FeDex was not very helpful. They still have not gotten back to me.

I guess I will be the Salalah pioneer/trailblazer in the page-refilling department and write you a full report when I have completed the procedure.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A report would be great. We just get so few posters on here who have experience of Salalah and probably few of them have had to get new pages in their passports. Laughing

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Couriers in Salalah Reply with quote

Try DHL: 23290447.
GabeKessel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have already sent it by Aramex. We'll see how long it takes.
GabeKessel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is my report:

I downloaded the Blank Visa Pages form from:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds4085/ds4085_2662.html

You only need to print the third page of it.

I filled it out and I went to a forwarding company called "Aramex". They are similiar to DHL, only much cheaper- half the price or less. They are located on the 23d(?) of July Street, in a big building across the street from the Police Station. There are many exchange offices there and a big sign "Aramex". They are on the 3rd floor if my memory does not fail me.

Their website is

www.aramex.com

On the Oman listing, they do not have their Salalah number. Their Muscat address/number is:

ARAMEX INTERNATIONAL COURIER C/O AL TAIE TRAVEL & TOURISM Qurum, Next Muscut Private school. MUSCAT,SULTANATE OF OMAN, 114 Muttrah,
Phone: +968 (24) 563668
Fax: +968 (24) 563231
PO Box: 1642

You can call them to get their Salalah office number ( I think it is 23290930 but I am not sure).

I have their cellphone in Salalah which I got almost a year ago:

I paid OR 15 for return service and put the following address on the Airway bill:

Attn: Passport Officer
Consular Section
US Embassy
Muscat, Oman

Tel: 24698989 ext. 294

I also enclosed the Aramex Muscat number written on a note that went with the passport and the form. This was done in order for the passport officer to call Aramex to come and pick it up when the pages were inserted.

I asked the Aramex clerk for that number but I do not remember now whether it was the same as the one listed on their site. Anyway, you can ask him as well and enclose that number.

Aramex sent the package to Muscat, they left it at the Embassy and went to pick it up on the following day.

The whole procedure took less than one week.

It is a good idea to call both the Embassy and Aramex to tell them that you are going to mail the package.

I was happy to get a call from both the passport officer and the Aramex clerk to inform me that the pasport was ready.

That's all, folks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the simplest procedure in the world, but good to know that it can be done that quickly. Of all the countries that I lived in, I found that the US Embassy in Oman was the easiest to deal with.

One of those things where size matters - and small is best!! Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: