Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College of the North Atlantic - Qatar
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: College of the North Atlantic - Qatar Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum for a couple of months. I have applied to the College of the North Atlantic - Qatar, had my two interviews, and yesterday they finished checking my references. I have applied for a position to start in mid-December. I would go over with my family.

Does anyone have information on the college that the recruiters do not give? And I mean the positive and negative. I know the college is new so it's not going to be perfect, and I am accepting of that.

I'd love to hear from anyone.

Last edited by FrznGuru on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the other thread that just came in? It is not terribly new and it sounds only a passable place. Did you try a search on the Qatar board?

VS
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done searches, but I am more interested in the now. The school is new and it seems that there were frustrating things in the first few years of its opening. But maybe things have stabilized.

I am applying to teach in a new program. If someone has had experience working there, do you think I will be given curriculum ... or ... textbooks... things like that.\

How far are the villas from campus? walking distance?

Thanks.

Last edited by FrznGuru on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Gulf scale this is an old place. It has been around for 3 or 4 years. Long enough to start a good scandal back home it appears. Laughing

There was a thread about the current situation in the last few months...

VS
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read the thread. It seams a little dicey, however every once in a while someone says it's a good school!?

If the school calls back, I'll take the chance. It's got to be better where I am now.

Last edited by FrznGuru on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need warmth! Winter 9 months of the year.
Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sumac is working at CNA.
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll search his posts.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrznGuru,

You will be going from one weather extreme to the other. You will have to change your screen name to MltdGuru...

VS
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could handle that. I am a bit worried though. Will we be able to take the heat? We are so used to -40 degree weather. Oh, but sunshine all the time. Feeling the heat from the sun, which we don't feel until the middle of June and then it's only just barely.

I hope the College calls.

Does anyone know about the wind in Doha? Do they get high winds, sand storms? Are your faces exfoliated from the sand?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a year or two to get used to the heat. I live in a climate in the US that is very similar to Greenland, though our summers can get very hot... just very very short. As I told my students in the Gulf, during the year it can range from almost -40 to almost +40. Cool

The cities along the Gulf are not terribly windy. Sandstorms are a seasonal thing and mainly occur in the Spring - April/May. They usually are followed by rain... usually just a spattering. And, that takes care of precipitation for the year.

Everything is well air-conditioned - in fact, often too much for my taste. From April to November, you just scurry from the AC in your car to that of your classroom to that of home. One major difference you will find is that if you wear glasses, instead of them fogging when you enter a building, they fog when you go outside. Laughing

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRZNGURU: You should be fine here in Qatar weatherwise (yes it gets very hot in the summer- but AC is everywhere here.........)- as for the college itself, I have heard from one or two people whose friend's are quite happy there- good working conditions etc...
FrznGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many days during the winter it's too cold to go outside. Now in Doha it will be too hot! But it seems like there are a lot of things for families to get involved in, places to go.

Thanks for your info. I will let you know in a week or so if I get the job.

Last edited by FrznGuru on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
lukey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: CNA-Q Reply with quote

CNA-Q is generally an ok place to work. The first three years were pretty disorganized. Now in the new campus - things are better - still a long way to go to be "world class" - which is their goal or vision. as you can see in the news article from the CBC website today re the previous CNA leadership - looks like they had some serious errors in judgement.

.http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/10/14/cona051014.htmland chaotic.
Gnome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an Adult Educator for Arctic College, I too taught in small settlements in Nunavut. I also taught in Qatar. You will find Doha a welcome change. Your kids will love it there. It is very family-centered. Don't worry about the heat. You will live in air conditioning, and you will find yourself moving quickly from air-conditioner to air-conditioner. Unlike the air in the Arctic, Doha seems to have a mucky, humid smell hanging over it. But the worst heat is in the summer, and you will have holidays then.

Lots of Newfies work in Nunavut. If you are from Newfoundland, you will probably get the job. Please keep us posted and tell us all about your impressions at the CNA-Qatar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: