Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on a tourist visa/student visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nat_capelli_rossi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Working on a tourist visa/student visa Reply with quote

OK, i'm sure this q has been asked many times, but here it goes...a school has expressed interest in hiring me, but I'm CDN, so there's some bureaucratic hurdles in the hiring process. The school said that they cannot supply me w/ onesta del officiale del lavoro (something like that...which is the 'official' working form that I would need to work in Italy legally), because it takes several months (however, I spoke to someone in Canada who worked as an English teacher in Italy for 6 yrs, and she said that if a company wants you, they will get that form, regardless of the 2-3 month wait). She also said that w/out that official form and visa, the contract could be changed, and that I might be taken advantage of, I wouldn't be able to open a bank account, etc.

The school then suggested that I come over on a student visa (because I would be taking an Italian course @ the school) while teaching. However, the Italian consulate in Toronto does not issue student visas longer than 90 days for private language courses, so I would have to go back home in 3 months, and then apply for another visa(?) OR the school said that I could just come over as a tourist, work for 3 months, go home, and then come back for another 3 months.

My major concern here is that I want to be sure that this is all legal. The school assures me that it is, while the girl that taught in Italy for 6 yrs was really weary of me going there w/out all the appropriate ppr work. I agreed w/ her, b/c I want everything to be sorted out before I go, and I don't want to be taking a risk, and get ripped off, etc...the school sounds legit, but I don't want to take any chances...Any suggestions????
eddytotti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest and only if you want to say, which school is interested in you? Perhaps some of us here might have working experience at the school or inside info and would be able to shed some light as to whether they are legit or not.
nat_capelli_rossi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a previous post a/b this school...but that's not what's really, really concerning me - I trust the school *enough* but I just want to know the legality of my situation. I do not want to work illegally, or take any chances.

As an aside, is 13 euros (10.50 net) per hour reasonable?

Ohh Italia! Confused
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10.50 an hour is reasonable for many jobs.

Toilet attendant, car park person, street sweeper.
Mark Loyd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but in those jobs you are providing a worthwhile service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: