Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

permesso di soggiorno or work visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SullyK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: permesso di soggiorno or work visa Reply with quote

I am an American citizen and I am planning on moving to Italy next summer. If I can get a permesso di soggiorno will I still need a work visa in order to work legally? Or are they considered pretty much the same thing?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll still need a work visa. These are difficult to obtain, as your prospective employer will have to sponsor you - something few employers will do as they can employ EU citizen teachers without this bureaucratic hurdle.

If you enrol as a university student, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week to support yourself financially. There are threads about this - look back in previous threads for specific information on which universities and which programs.
John ELS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Most non-EU teachers work under the table. You'll need a codice fiscale (social security number). You can get that without a permesso.
mikey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: permesso di soggiorno or work visa Reply with quote

SullyK wrote:
I am an American citizen and I am planning on moving to Italy next summer. If I can get a permesso di soggiorno will I still need a work visa in order to work legally? Or are they considered pretty much the same thing?

also check the older job info forum under "italy". there is info about non-EU people and codices. you are NOT guaranteed a codice, btw; in fact it's technically illegal for you to get one w/out a work visa or eu passport. that said, it's a relatively simple document (unlike, say, the US social security card) and if you find a clerk in the right mood...

also, keep in mind that there is very little, if any, teaching work in the summer; in fact, most schools don't start up again until september or even october, so you better have some $$ to hold you over until your first paycheck arrives in november,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: