Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AVOID SMARTKIDS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: AVOID SMARTKIDS!! Reply with quote

We are a group of teachers who have had the unfortunate luck of working for a comany called Smartkids. When we first started with Smartkids they were quite polite and punctucal with wage payments. As time went by, however, this changed drastically. All of the staff we worked with have left and our salaries are always late. The only way we have got our salaries in the past was to stage a sit in in the office and refuse to leave without payment. As we write this our salaries are more than a week late again. We call and call and everyone is always in a meeting and never calls back. This is a company with a brand new office that is advertising on jobsdb.com currently. AND THEY STILL DON'T PAY THEIR TEACHERS!!

In addition if you look at the HK Job Information Journal you will see others who have written in as well. This is not to mention those who have not written in. The operater of this business is a man named Morris Koey who does not have his phone number on his business card and has his caller ID blocked so even if you trick him into calling you you still don't know his phone number. Is this a reputable business man? Even his manager Alex Mok, who quit a few days ago, has repeatedly lied to us. For example, on several occasions we have been told the money will be in our accounts at 4pm on Tuesday or some other equally specific date and time only for that time to come and for there to be no money. From head to toe this company is dishonest. Even the receptionist lies and tells us that Mr. Koey is in a meeting int the office when in reality, as told to us by other employees, he is not even in the office.

I know the first reaction to this by anyone who has not been in this situation is to turn to legal channels. Of course we have thought of this but the procedure go like this: Only after seven days after the pay period is a employer doing anything legal. After seven days one approaches the labour department to intercede and assist in the conflict. If that doesn't work then a hearing can be set, after making an appointment during the middle of the day that will force you to miss school, and then 10-30 days later there will be a hearing. Even if you win the hearing the employer can appeal. After the appeal the employer has a month to pay on his own accord. If the employer does not pay or is insolvent then getting the money can take several more months. So it is easy to see why we are not eager to jump into the process when we need money now, money that we have already worked for.

Life is too short to have to deal with stress like this that threatens your very survival. Please alert anyone you know who is in the job market now to avoid Smartkids. You will be doing them a service that we wish someone had done for us.
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: RE: Smart Kids Reply with quote

They tried to hire me twice.

I declined!

I suggest you contact the schools directly if you choose to find other employment.

Besides the teachers, the students whom pay for the extra curricuar lessons suffer too.

Such agencies usually hire anyone regardless of ability or qualifications.

At my interview the first thing I was told was "We have a school that wants to sack both of the teachers we sent there." When a local school finds the quality of supply teachers insufficent, that should be warnign enough.

This is not a reflection or comment on any of the exisiting teachers, but a warning. DO YOU WISH TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH AN AGENCY?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kurva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a renewed warning about Smart Kids. There are now at least five NET teachers who went through this company who are now in the process of litigation against the company for unpaid wages. I myself am owed over $25,000. I have gone through all the proper channels but I can tell you it is a long and arduous process to get back pay from these scum bags. They don't even show up for the consilatory hearing with the Labour department. It's unreal. So in the strongest possible way AVOID SMART KIDS and the bosses Morris Koey and Irene Chan. They are absolutely the worst type of employer you could ever have! If you have any question or comments feel free to e-mail me and I can put you in contact with all of these individuals who are prosecuting Smart Kids.
kurva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an update on SmartKids. There are not at least five former NETs, probably alot more, in the second stage of prosecution against Smart Kids, that is the labour tribunal, and the piece of waste owner Morris Koey. Personally, my payment is over a month and a half late. My school payed SmartKids, of this I am sure, but did Smart Kids pay me.

The only way that places like this can operate is if they get a fresh batch of suckers who have no idea what kind of company this is. So do what you can to protect your fellow teachers and all the newbies out there and spread the word about this company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: