Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's what you need to bring to work in VN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlomker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: turnaround time on fbi record check Reply with quote

intlduke wrote:
gotta love how vague and ominous that is "record on file."

These kind of things are strictly for a criminal record. I've been through these checks before because they are the same ones that are run for purchasing a firearm or obtaining a handgun carry permit.
stilloutthere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of comments about Viet Nam having high requirements for work permits, then not doing anything to enforce that requirement. This is exactly the same policy Japan followed when they had a huge teacher shortage in the 80's. Part time work paid better than legal work, because it was less secure, and people worked for years flying to Korea and back every time their tourist visa expired. Then, when things started to slow down in the early nineties, they started to enforce the law more strictly. It worked out well, and it seems Viet Nam is trying to follow the same sort of policy, along with the 3-month-no-work-permit needed twist.
Dsay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: FBI background check Reply with quote

I just wanted to let everyone know that the turnaround time on an FBI background check is 14-16 weeks. Also, they won't give you any kind of status update - like letting you know if the fingerprints you sent are usable - for 12 weeks.
This information was given to me today by a rep at their call center in West Virginia.
ChuckECheese

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Work Permit Reply with quote

Jerrymcb wrote:
My work permit was held by my employer. I moved to working with Vietnamese schools with no Permit requirements. My previous employer returned my WP to the Department of Labour.
I subsequently took employment with an International school and submitted exactly the documents required and previously passed by my first school. They were rejected on a tiny technical issue.
Point is ........ no point, work it out for yourself.
Also I see on another thread that it's assumed a foreigner cannot register a motor bike in his/her name. You can actually: all you need is a work permit and a Vietnamese police report covering your address.
I was cleared to register mine, however the same technical difficulty arose.
I don't contribute to Police salaries, even the tiny 50000 requested for my registration..... I just got a pal to register in her name

Yep, money talks and BS walks.
tirthyatri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row about work permits. On reading the postings I see here, it appears that there are two contradictory theories about how Americans go about getting one.

One theory is that you must go to your local police and get a notarized letter, then to the State Department of State, then to the Federal Department of State, and then finally to the Vietnamese Consulate.

The second theory is that you go and get fingerprinted by the local police, send the results to the FBI and bingo! you're done, just as soon as the FBI gets the paperwork back to you.

Am I missing something here? Since I am hoping to head out in a couple of months to Vietnam to take a CELTA course and then join the workforce, I'd really like to make sure that I show up with the right papers. Can anybody comment?
ChuckECheese

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One theory is that you must go to your local police and get a notarized letter, then to the State Department of State, then to the Federal Department of State, and then finally to the Vietnamese Consulate.

This is the correct procedure to satisfy the Viet immi requirement if you wish to apply for work permit. Above procedure is what you call "Authentication" process.

The bottom line is that you don't really need work permit to get a teaching job in Vietnam. Just need a white face.
suvving

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Here's what you need to bring to work in VN Reply with quote

Ryno wrote:
typically, you'll just need to walk into your local police station and have them print a letter stating there's nothing incriminating against you on record. The issuing clerk must then sign this in front of a notary. I would get at least three of them so you'll have a supply for future use.

How do I do this? Do I need to take my own notary to the police department? Does the police department have a notary person there? I've never notarized something, so I don't understand this process.
freebeacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Work In Vitenam Reply with quote

I applied for one of the Vietnam jobs advertised this week here on Dave's international jobs forum. I have a B.A. and 6 months of experience in Taiwan, 3 months in Spain, and 3 months in Greece. I was told I was ineligible to work anywhere in Vietnam as I did not have a TEFL certificate, which is an immigration requirement for a work visa. So, obviously some schools in Vietnam claim to be following the rules, if requiring a TEFL is indeed one of the rules, and I do not know that it is.
mach114

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a response from the US embassy in Hanoi. Here is what they said;

If you want to have your documents authenticated in Vietnam, you have to submit your original documents (or copies certified by a U.S. notary public) because Vietnamese authorities only accept original documents or certified true copies. Please bring your original documents (or certified true copies) to our office and execute affidavits to go with them. You’ll have to pay $30 for the first document and $20 for each additional. We’ll witness your signature on the affidavit and put seal on it. After that, you have to bring the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam (40 Tran Phu Street) for authentication. Please note that we are open to the public only in the morning between 08:00 and 11:30 Monday through Friday (except VN and US holidays)

You may want to have your documents authenticated in the U.S. Please find instructions for this process at