Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL in public sector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: EFL in public sector Reply with quote

What jobs are available in public sector, where are they advertised and what is the pay like compared to EFL schools? (please and thank you).
D.O.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over two decades experience in the City.

What are your qualifications?
London10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qualifications are BA and trinity TESOL certificate
Golightly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try your local FE college. minimum requirements are generally BA, CELTA or equivalent, preferably a Diploma too. You are also supposed to have The Certificate in Education for Further Education, but sessionals often don't have this. Look in the Guardian Education section on Tuesdays. Pay's far better than private EFL schools: typically, 18-29 per hour, depending on location, level taught and experience. Full-time contracts are in the general payscale of 19,000 - 27,000.
London10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to sound horribly ignorent but what is an FE or further education college. Is it a University or anywhere that offers a degree?
Golightly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a further education college basically provides vocational education, e.g. hairdressing, plumbing, or the equivalent of a-levels and above, e.g. diplomas, HNDs. a sixth form academy is an example of a type of fe institution.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you aren't British or have led a very sheltered life:-)

Further Education in this context is at the post-compulsory level i.e. after 16 years of age. FE colleges offer a wide range of subjects, both academic and vocational and qualifications including A levels, City & Guilds, NVQs etc.
They also offer adult evening classes and Basic Skills training which is where ESOL/EFL comes in.
London10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
I suspect that you aren't British or have led a very sheltered life:-)

Thanks for the insult. I am british. I just got confused between higher education and further education. I went to a private school myself, (age 11 - 18 ), so never went to an FE college.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="London10"]
SueH wrote:
I went to a private school myself, (age 11 - 18 ), so never went to an FE college.

QED:-)
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you Brits called 'private schools' public schools.
London10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I thought you Brits called 'private schools' public schools.

A public school is a private school that is roughly more then 100 years old . A private school is therefore a 'private' school that is less then 100 years old. It goes something like that anyway. We call what you call public schools state schools.

SueH wrote:
QED:-)

Please don't insult me again but what does QED mean? quod erat demonstrandum?
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear London10,

To work in the public sector you need some knowledge of the system, a thick skin and a sense of humour. So far you have shown none of those; I may have been teasing you a little, but you were rather leading with your chin.

Just because you had a private education does not absolve you from having knowledge beyond that environment, or even doing your own research once you've been given a few leads here.
London10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
Dear London10,

To work in the public sector you need some knowledge of the system, a thick skin and a sense of humour. So far you have shown none of those; I may have been teasing you a little, but you were rather leading with your chin.

Just because you had a private education does not absolve you from having knowledge beyond that environment, or even doing your own research once you've been given a few leads here.

Okay keep your knickers on. I mearly didn't know what an FE college was. Big deal. I am not looking at working for one so doesn't really matter. Also as far as my original post was concerned - no harm in asking such questions - they were mearly aiding my own research at the time and thats what this board is here for anyway - to ask such questions.
Will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public sector jobs are best advertised in the Guardian or in the TES, read some of the threads in this forum and you will pick up these and other hyperlinks on EFL here.
FE for your self would probably be your best bet as you have a TESOL certificate. Because the work in FE will be ESOL oriented, and not EFL, you will also be encouraged to gain a level 4 qualification, as you do not have QTS, in your first year of employment and also gain the subject specification certification in ESOL as part of your CPD so it will be no holiday like EFL is.
I have worked in HE for several of the London Unis, and EFL in the Uni sector is well paid, sometimes into 35 plus per hour but you will need demonstrable experience, without this you can only expect to compete with the backpackers on Oxford Street, read some of the threads in this forum and you will see the prices that some of these EFL "schools" here offer, sometimes as much as 6 an hour

The TES will give you independent prep and secondary school job opportunities for live-in, on site, residential/boarding school type positions... not that well paid, but better than state school secondaries where you will definitely need QTS, but the occasional one comes along that does not require you to do housemaster responsibilities as part and parcel of the job. As a privately educated individual I am sure it would be of immense pleasure/benefit to these types of establishments to employ one of their own (although there is still the need to have QTS and because of the student age you will need a CRB perhaps even an advanced one) who is already familiar with the system, as they are generally single sex and seeking same, with a strong influence on the sporty side of the teacher who is to contribute to the supportive 'team' environment. In other words, going to all...ALL.. the school home sports events and supporting from the sideline, and coaching after school sports classes or your favourite sport, or hobby,...soon to be least favourite sport, or hobby... for your tutor group, be forewarned... long hours and weekends included.
Why not contact your old school and see what they say? They may be able to put you in contact with a school , y'know use the old school tie bit.
There are several leading EFL schools that have year round residential schools. They will normally require you to have a TEFL Cert. Again the situation is similar to Prep schools. Other than this religious schools, although state-funded or under "charitable" swindle status may be interested in your skills agin it all boils down to experience and qualifications. Send the Letter of Application and your references "en blanc" along with your CV to a few of these schools that interest you and you will soon understand their needs by the responses you receive.
Once you get an interview you can convince them of your abilities, other than teaching, that could impact upon their decision to offer you a position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: