Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Train into the Czech Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Train into the Czech Republic Reply with quote

I'm going to be traveling soon by train from Nuremberg to Prague. Since the German rail pass covers the trip to the Czech border, the question concerns paying for the trip from Cheb to Prague. Can I buy the ticket in the train, or do I need to disembark in Cheb to buy a ticket in the station?

Where's the best place to get a ticket beforehand without getting ripped off?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy tickets on the train. It's the same price.
Don't forget to carry some drinkingwater/snacks with you. There may/may not be concessions on the train. I got caught once on an 8-hour trip Frankfort-Prague without anything...and it was a looooong, dry trip.
Hamett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made this trip a few times.
DON'T buy the ticket on the train UNLESS you have Czech currency.
If you have euro or other foreign currency the ticket collector will pull out an 'official' exchange rate list and you will end up paying from Cheb to Prague about 30EURO. This is roughly 900Kc. The ticket should only cost roughly 120Kc!!!!!!!!

Either change up a little Czech Koruna in Germany or GET OFF THE TRAIN and change up money in Cheb and buy your ticket at the station.
parrothead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Hamett. Do NOT buy a ticket on the train unless your connection is so tight that you don't have time to buy a ticket at the station in Cheb. Even then, there are numerous departures from Cheb to Prague, so you could always catch the next train. Otheriwse the inspector will absolutely cheat you for at least 5 times the actual fare if you do not have Czech currency.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys, thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that I'm probably paying the correct fare on the train only because I have Czech crowns....I currently live half the year in Canada and half in the CR, so I keep dollars and euros and koruni on hand. I wonder if it also helps that I'm a dual citizen and can speak Czech. I have forgotten that things might be different for first-time visitors. Sorry to give out wrong info! Will be more careful in future.
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Trip to Prague Reply with quote

I bought the ticket in Nuremberg for the Cheb to Prague portion of the trip. Price was about 20 Euros. At the train station in Cheb, I bought the Czech krones because the spread between buying and selling was narrow (about half a krone), and there was no commission. A few disgusting-looking prostitutes were loitering around the station. Once I got to Prague, I purchased the return ticket to the German border (Furth im Wald). The price in Euros came out to about 10.

The taxi driver at the train station in Prague wanted 1000 krone (about $40) to take me to Branik, an area slightly outside the city center. I declined. As I turned my back to him, he lowered the price to 800 krone (about $30). I just walked away. Eventually, I figured out how to use the trams to get to my destination.

A couple days later while taking a walking tour, I heard the guide warn against 1. taxi drivers and 2. pick-pocketers.
parrothead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. You can get to just about anywhere in Prague by use of metro, tram or bus. If you absolutely must take a taxi, call 14014; they'll dispatch an honest driver to you.
Hamett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to take a taxi the cheapest way is to CALL the taxi hotline.
The next best thing is to flag down a taxi in the road and the worst thing you can do is to go up to a parked taxi.
In Prague there are official and unofficial taxi companies BUT even official taxi company drivers are business people and technically, if you didn't call the taxi hotline and order a taxi the driver can accept the ride as a private job and thus charge you more.
As a general rule though AAA taxi drivers will charge you fairly in this case.
So, best thing to do is call ahead and order a taxi.
I have always found AAA to be reliable and safe.
Their website is: http://www.aaa-taxi.cz/en/
BUT, Prague has an excellent transport system, cheap as hell and it goes to Narnia and back
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to Prague Reply with quote

Sounds like Thailand! Hope Cz never gets like that. Currently live in Thailand and will make a move to CZ someday

Seeker of truth wrote:
I bought the ticket in Nuremberg for the Cheb to Prague portion of the trip. Price was about 20 Euros. At the train station in Cheb, I bought the Czech krones because the spread between buying and selling was narrow (about half a krone), and there was no commission. A few disgusting-looking prostitutes were loitering around the station. Once I got to Prague, I purchased the return ticket to the German border (Furth im Wald). The price in Euros came out to about 10.

The taxi driver at the train station in Prague wanted 1000 krone (about $40) to take me to Branik, an area slightly outside the city center. I declined. As I turned my back to him, he lowered the price to 800 krone (about $30). I just walked away. Eventually, I figured out how to use the trams to get to my destination.

A couple days later while taking a walking tour, I heard the guide warn against 1. taxi drivers and 2. pick-pocketers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: