Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Materials

View previous topic :: View next topic  
got2go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Teaching Materials Reply with quote

Just another question for those experienced individuals who can help us novice travelers to Oman!

Do the colleges/universities in Oman provide the teachers with teaching materials or are we all on our own?

Are the classrooms equipped with computers, overhead projectors, etc..
or anything to aid in teaching.

And what about the schedule for most of the teachers? Do you teach all subject areas like grammar, writing, reaading, speech, etc., and/or are you teaching by level or is it all the above? Or does it depend on the contract? I know that in my inital contract, they did not even mention the number of hours per week! I guess I'll found out when I arrive, whenever that will be!

Thanks all for your input!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got2go

I'm just speculating here as I don't know who you are going to work for. Supplies and materials vary by institution. In some places, every room had a OHP, in others you had to sign them out or schdule them. Same with TV/VCRs... I've never worked anywhere that has computers in the classroom and have only heard of one in the Emirates where they are part of the curriculum. Some places are still using chalk and blackboards, but most seem to have switched to whiteboards.

They usually have materials and texts... to some extent. It depends on the age of the place probably. I normally took my materials with me as I taught writing... and the texts never quite meet the needs. If you have a couple of favorite texts that you like to steal ideas or exercises from, you might throw them in your bags. I think it is safe to assume that the students' levels are quite low. (high beginning to high intermediate)

Hard to tell if they use integrated skills or separate them out. Since Arabic speakers have the most problems with reading and writing, many places put the students part-time in an integrated skills class and the rest of their time concentrating on writing with a reading base.

Teaching hours are normally mentioned. It used to be that 15 was the norm... those were the days. Now the average contact hours are 20 and creeping upwards.
got2go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: teaching materials Reply with quote

I'm glad you told me about the novels, especially for my kids! I know there's not much to do there and this is a great excuse to get my kids to finally read more! I will order them so leveled readers!

And re: the materials, I will certainly bring my own, just in case! I guess any teacher (or anyone for that matter) can never have enough information!

Thanks VS!
kuberkat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Got2go. We have been in contact about this topic, but for future reference, here are some answers to your questions.

1. Teaching materials (textbooks) are provided and the curriculum is very tight. I find that sometimes preparing something extra can save a lot of precious time, though. Having your own resources will never hurt. The college library provides a basic stock of teaching/English/ELT textbooks of varying quality and thought-provokingly liberal Dewey arrangement.

2. At my not-so-modern college, every room has an overhead projector. There are a few rooms allocated to English lessons that have TVs, to which you will receive a key. There is also a "Learning Resource Center" where you can follow the paper trail to CD/tape players, video recorders, VCD players (we have no DVD access) and even a powerpoint projector. There are also a number of multimedia rooms where students use computers with headsets during lectures. Computer rooms for independent use are also available, which helps since many new ENglish departments have mushroomed and newbies are without computers unless they bring their own.

3. If all goes well, you are allocated by specialty- though this may not be so easy of you arrive mid-semester. Those who play their cards right can pick and choose. If staff requirements are met, hours are now between 14 and 16 hours. Until all staff arrive, colleagues are shouldering the extra hours.

Moral: they need you. Hurry up an get here already.
got2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Awaiting! Reply with quote

Hi Kuberkat,

Again, thanks for your response. I'm awaiting the visa at this point, and with the Eid holiday coming soon, I don't know if this will delay the visa processing even more! But I hope to be there soon!

Anyway, I know we spoke about this topic, but I failed to ask you what levels of instruction do you teach - beginning, intermediate, or advanced? Or do they have you teaching a variety of levels?

How are the majority of students? - Bright or need a lot of help in English?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Got2go,

In case Kuberkat is not around due to the Eid, it is likely that all work on your visa will stop till about Sunday.

Bright? as usual some are and some are not... Laughing But, they are usually polite and pleasant to work with. The thing is that the best and brightest will have been sent to SQU.

Assume that student levels will be low. In Muscat you will find a few advanced level students, but very few. Most will be high beginning/low intermediate if you are in a smaller town. They will usually be one or two levels lower in reading/writing than they are in speaking/listening.

VS
got2go

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: thanks again Reply with quote

Hi VS,

Thanks again for all your input! I assumed that all will stop until Sat/Sunday, but was not sure if the 2-3 week timeframe included this week off!

Ow, well! I'll wait until next week to hear an answer, hopefully! This is not easy - Having to pack and prepare, but not knowing when one will leave is a little frustrating, but what can one do! Did anyone feel that way?

But thanks for your comments!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the visa is just part of the joy of heading to the Gulf... fun, huh? Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: