Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it a safe place to live?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
got2go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Is it a safe place to live? Reply with quote

Hello one and all,

I was just wondering that since my husband has decided that he will not be able to come with me right away, I will have to go on my own with the kids! Is it safe to be alone with the children there? Is there anything I need to worry about, be concerned about, etc.?

Also, was anyone offered a job now and asked the Ministry to wait until June 2006 for the post? Or is this something that is not done? I personally would of rather to wait until June 2006 to hire me instead of now (Nov -05) , but I don't know how this will fly with the Ministry, any suggestions anyone!

If anyone has any comments/suggestions, please let me know!
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: safety Reply with quote

you will be statistically SO MUCH safer in Oman than in the USA ..... the crime / murder rates are not even close .... it will probably be the safest year of your entire life...... as long as you don't spend too much time driving in the foggy mountains during the Khareef!!
abufletcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this. While a woman always has to be a bit more cautious than a man almost anywhere in the world, you can pretty much go anywhere anytime at feel safe.

As an illustration of this from Kuwait, my wife once misplaced her purse and she looked all over the house for several days before realizing that she had left it on the bench at a bus stop in front of the university. So we drove over and there it was still sitting on the bench untouched with all the contents intact. Try THAT in the US!

How old are the children? Flying by yourself with several children is pretty daunting. Where will you be teaching?
carnac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very, very safe for you and the kids. But, this does not mean you would not take the normal safeguards you would take anywhere. There are always a few bad guys. But, you will find far, far fewer here than the US, England, France, Russia, anywhere else including other nearby Arab states. Where will you be living/working? If anywhere around Musqat, send a pm and I can give suggestions on living arrangements, prices, etc.
You will be fine here and have a great experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: