Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying/ Registering a Car in Germany - how?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetset

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Buying/ Registering a Car in Germany - how? Reply with quote

currently headed to Germany in a coupla weeks.

What do I need to register a car if it already has a valid TUV / emissions?

Where do I get insurance?

Do I need a residence permit? (currently just an EU passport)

Can i get temp plates or something?

Thanks in advance

JetSet (poverty version)
gZo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get a paper from an insurance, in order to go to the reigstration office in the area where you live. So that means you have to be legaly registered as well, with your current Residence.(you need a residence permit) You have to do that first, because you need a mail adresse to get the paper from the insurance. T�V/ASU has to be up to date too. If you have a Job, I think it should be no problem with a EU Passport to get a Residense permit. Otherwise I guess it's not possible
Temp plates, depends what kind of insurance you pick, actually it's not possible, just season plates. Or temp for 1 day to get from a to b.

greetings
Jetset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm small problem.. since I'm still in nomad mode and dont plan on getting a permanent address.

If I buy a car from a private sale with a valid TUV and such - will they give me the plates with the car? Then maybe I can just 'risk' it and drive the car as such for a short period of time? Maybe throw some insurance on, but 'delay' the registration until i get back to mother Britain in a few months.
gZo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: No. Reply with quote

No, that's definitly not possible. If you buy the car, they would maybe register it for you if you hand them the paper from the insurance= called Deckungskarte to be exactly. Otherwise you won't get plates and it's illegal to drive a car with out any insurance. Maybe you can get plates from the UK somehow and register it there from Germany.Not sure if that's a option. Or maybe there is a way to get a insurance for foreigners over the ADAC, with a residence in the EU.
But don't know nothing about that so far.
Still wish you luck.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: