Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Machismo - a non-issue?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
durango kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Machismo - a non-issue????? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am yet another newbie (British, BA in Business, about to start CELTA, no exp., fluent Spanish) in search of advice.

I am not sure if anyone can shed any light on this one but I would love to hear from you if you can.

I am making a permanent move out there in early 2004 as I am getting hitched to my Mexican fianc�. Bearing in mind that I am already at a slight disadvantage when it comes to finding work because of my background, would the fact that I am young, female and just married go against me too? Or due to the frequency with which teachers seem to move around, is it a non-issue?

I know technically they can't ask and I'm not obliged to tell but...

Is machismo alive and kicking in the world of TEFL?
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know technically they can't ask and I'm not obliged to tell but...

- durango kid

In this country, technically and legally they can ask, and many of them probably will. They can ask you your marital status, sexual preference, age, religion, and just about anything else they want to ask, and they can base their decision to hire you or not hire you on any of those things.

That said, I doubt that you'll find being a young married woman to be a major problem in your quest to find a job teaching EFL. Your qualifications (Spanish fluency, a university degree, and a recognized teacher-training course) should be to your advantage.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: nobody asked me nuttin Reply with quote

When I got contacted by ITESM. I expected similar questions as well. Especially after they asked me to send them a pic. Im not old but Im not a kid either. They never asked me any personal questions, only professional ones. It might depend on the employer as well. ITESM is more "US" (for lack of a better adjective) in they way they do business than what I understand about a lot of other Latin American schools/businesses.

Just my 2 cents...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben round the block is right. It is perfectly legal in Mexico to ask all sorts of questions. In some factories, women even have to give employers a pregnancy test. It is usually assumed that a newly married woman will get pregnant soon, but since you are a foreigner that doesn't really apply to you.
I am married to a Mexican and recently lived in Mexico for two years. When it comes to machismo, it didn't really affect my professional life. As a foreigner, it is assumed that you are going to have, let's say, a more feminist mindset.

I can not say the same for your personal life. Your family-in-law may expect you to follow many of the same cultural norms they do. It may take them a while to get used to some things. For example, having male friends, travelling alone, not having children right away, focusing on your career instead of the home etc. These all depend on the family. Also if you are not catholic, that can cause tension as well. Even if you are catholic, Mexican catholocism can be very strict, especially with women.

I didn't have problems with all of these things, they are just things that come to mind. You will most likely find your relationships with co-workers rather easy because in many situations, you will be regarded as an expert, being a native speaker.

Good luck (especially with migraci�n!)
LM
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Machismo - a non-issue????? Reply with quote

Sorry to get in late on this but I've had a busy couple of weeks.

Depending on where you and your husband to be are going to be living, I might suggest another route.

Rather than looking for a job, you might want to do private classes. As his wife you will be able to get a dependent FM3(non-immigrant) or FM2(immigrant) visa. You'd be able to make a lot more money, giving private classes if your in a location with sufficient demand and have contacts with the type of people who have money.

I give one private class at the moment. Its a kids class made up of children of professors at the university where I teach. So the most important factor is covered (I know that they have a steady income to continue to pay me) There is a group of 8 kids who each pay 25 pesos per class. Its cheap for them and great for me. Way better than 50 pesos an hour at a language school.

But you may want to get so experience first working at a school that has materials and support for you. I'd say your marital status would be a plus. Legally you will have to register your employer on your FM3 or 2. But a school might be more likely to try to convince you not to. And you are not likely to decide that you'd rather go to Asia and make more moeny. Very Happy (from my point of view as an employer, I'd say your status as a Mexican wife would be a plus---but I'm biased)

Best of luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: