Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Min of Higher Ed and Rafo salaries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Min of Higher Ed and Rafo salaries Reply with quote

Both the Ministry of Higher Education and the Royal Air Force are advertising for English language instructors. But there is a significant difference is starting pay. Min H. Ed pay is from OR1000 a month and RAFO pay is from OR790 (includes transport allowance). I assume the difference is because Min H. Ed doesn't provide housing. Would this tbe the case? Any thoughs gratefully received.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would seem to be the difference... about the right amount. I suspect that RAFO is probably the better choice - at least based on what has been on these boards about them both in the last few years. Check out this thread if you haven't already:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=6675&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rafo&start=0

If you decide that you have interest in RAFO, apply directly to them (see previous thread) - avoid using an agent if you can.

VS
Tomton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS - many thanks. I did apply direct to RAFO and have an interview in London in early December. But today I saw the ad from the Ministry of Higher Ed on www.tefl.com and was wondering if I'd done the right thing. I'll stick with RAFO and try to negotiate a higher salary. Thier website does say their salaries are negotiable.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck!!

VS
mci

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: rafo / MoE Reply with quote

I'd have a look at the Min of Ed. job - better salary even with paying for accomodation. You can get a flat for absolute maximum 150 anywhere - if you're placed in one of the small towns - very likely - you can get a nice place for less than 100.

RAFO is very regimented - negotiating the salary will not go any further than what scale you're rated at based on experience and quals - even then, you will start at a certain grade and not be eligible for an upgrade for at least a year, probably more. Plus, the accomodation is very sparse - picture a one room flat with bathroom - you sleep/eat/watch tv etc in the same approx 15 x 15 room on a base. Also possible to be stuck out in the sticks with only the mess bar and cafeteria to sustain you. Prices are cheap and the food is pretty good at the mess - you're an "officer" as a teacher.

I'd go for the Ministry job - survive a year at a remote location and then make a move to Salalah, Sohar, Sur or even Muscat if you lucky - all the while making a pretty decent salary and savings.

mci
carnac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCI - my understanding is that newhire RAFO instructors are no longer given officer status. Still can access Officer's Mess, but...
Best to be hoped for with newhires is a grade 6 unless there are extraordinary qualifications. At least, that's what I have been told by the RAFO guys I work with.(I am not RAFO)
In the current climate, I'd look seriously at MinEd. But still look seriously at RAFO as well.
One more point: RAFO is not as seriously regimented as some make it out to be. For the students, maybe, but teachers have it pretty easy. Compare with MinEd where one teacher I know is responsible for 156 students in varied classes. Doesn't happen with SAF. (Sultan's Armed Forces)
However, MinEd jobs could put you in the hinterlands with few amusements outside of work. And, perhaps, three truckloads of students.
RAFO students are much, much easier to work with than civilian students. They're older, motivated, and under orders to learn English or else. I may be prejudiced since I'm a military teacher, but I've taught the civilians here also, and prefer the military. More rewarding in that they learn faster and better (generally speaking), and you can see the results of your teaching when they are promoted in rank.
Another good job possibility is the Fire College, where student firemen (sorry, firefighters) need to go up at least as far as Intermediate level.
Oman Air is still thinking about courses in Aviation English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: