Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA Applied Linguistics or TESOL????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomzis1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Master Ed in TESOL at QUT and would definitely recommend it. There were really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable professors and the courses were good (in the TESOL department at least). There was a good mix of students with different experience/ cultural perspectives for some interesting conversations in class. I also did one subject which was a part of the 'normal' education department which was very ordinary though.

QUT has got a better reputation than Griffith and is in lovely Brizvegas as well.
lozwich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomzis1 wrote:
QUT has got a better reputation than Griffith and is in lovely Brizvegas as well.

Not that I've studied at either, but I've had dealings with both due to prior employment in Brisbane universities, and I would agree with this wholeheartedly. You can check this link http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2005/ARWU2005_TopAsia.htm for the rankings of universities in the Asia Pacific region.

I'm looking into universities myself at the moment, and its a minefield! As soon as I find one that I think is perfect, up pops another one and my search begins all over again! Shocked

Good luck,
Lozwich.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomzis1 wrote:

Is QUT ranked higher than Griffith? Why has it got a better reputation?

Does QUT have an Applied Linguistics Programme as well as TESOL?

Thanks...
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUT has a better reputation than Griffith because of teaching quality, possibly location and maybe also because of the amount of groovy advertising they do. QUT's courses have always seemed to me to be more "cutting edge" than Griffiths. They were one of the first universities in Queensland to have a TESOL/ELICOS graduate program.

If it was me, I'd be doing either the MA TESOL at QUT or the App Ling at The University of Queensland. Both universities are highly reputable, within the framework of having to now get a lot more full fee paying students in to help compensate for the lack of government funding.

You don't mention where you're from 773. Have you looked into scholarships and such like?

Have a good day,
Lozwich.
Miyazaki

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozwich wrote:
QUT has a better reputation than Griffith because of teaching quality, possibly location and maybe also because of the amount of groovy advertising they do. QUT's courses have always seemed to me to be more "cutting edge" than Griffiths. They were one of the first universities in Queensland to have a TESOL/ELICOS graduate program.

If it was me, I'd be doing either the MA TESOL at QUT or the App Ling at The University of Queensland. Both universities are highly reputable, within the framework of having to now get a lot more full fee paying students in to help compensate for the lack of government funding.

I agree!

I would say either QUT or University of Queensland (NOT USQ or UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN QUEENSLAND!!!)

Griffith is just too far out in the sticks for me and I never recommend it - however, if you're doing an M.A. or doctoral level degree and someone out there is specializing in your field of research, then it would make sense to go to Griffith.

But I think you'd find that QUT or UQ are good, quality schools and convenient places to be doing your degree.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your responses!

We have decided on Griffith for the reasons of time, money, and the programme offered. UQ is too expensive and too long of a program for us (we are on a budget) and QUT doesn't have a Masters of Appl. Ling. programme, which is what my husband and I both prefer to do over an MA TESOL.

It was mentioned that Griffith is out in the styx...we are actually really looking forward to that, as we have been living in busy Taiwan for 6 years now and really looking forward to seeing nature and having fresh air every single day! It will be heaven for us. Cool

Although Griffith doesn't have as good of a reputation as UQ and QUT do, I hope that it still has a good enough reputation to help secure good emplyment abroad...does anyone know about Griffith's reputation overseas, particularly in the Middle East?

Thanks again!!!!! Very Happy
lozwich

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

773 wrote:
It was mentioned that Griffith is out in the styx...we are actually really looking forward to that, as we have been living in busy Taiwan for 6 years now and really looking forward to seeing nature and having fresh air every single day!

Never having been to Taiwan, I can only imagine, but Griffith isn't really the sticks. Its just 30 minutes (or maybe less) drive from the centre of Brisbane. It is lovely and leafy around there though, as long as you don't look at the industrial areas that are also around there.

Just make sure you get somewhere with a breeze.

Trust me, you'll really appreciate it on those summer days! Cool

Best of luck 773!
Lozwich.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lozwich! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: