Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How was that first month in Russia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibasiram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: How was that first month in Russia? Reply with quote

Hello teachers in Russia. I've finally made it here to join you in the fun of living in Russia, and I am just wondering what your answers are to the question posted in the subject line above?

I have heard tales about the honeymoon period in Russia where everything was ideal, and I have also heard about slow unfriendly starts.

Personally for me it's been a bit of both, and definately quite unlike any other country I've worked in.

How did you feel on arrival in Russia and how was your first month?

Happy teaching
Ibasiram Wink
P-T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ibasiram, welcome to Russia!

My first month was friendly but quiet, which suited me because there was lots to get my head around (1st time teacher, 1st time overseas).

After that month, both work & social life went crazy & didn't slow down until now.

I finish work in Siberia this coming Wednesday, fly to Moscow to spend a week with friends who moved there last month, & then off to my new post.

I hope your time in Russia is as rewarding & enjoyable as mine has been. I'll never forget the place, & who knows, maybe I'll be back.

All the best! Very Happy
bobs12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First month - culture shock, weird sleep paralysis, made friends with every other barmaid on Nevsky while classmates just got mugged and complained how rude Russians are, one of them got taken hostage in Nord-Ost theatre siege and lived not to tell the tale.

Quite a lot of fun really.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobs 12, you certainly had it eventful there. Not the easiest time to arrive. It hasn't been that eventful. I also couldn't sleep at the start, and when I did, kept being woke up by sms messages from people who forgot about the time difference Evil or Very Mad

I also had the culture shock here and did / still doing the whole bar thing. I'm actually getting to be known in a few places now....don't know if that's good or bad... !
bobs12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing. Being a creature of habit in a big city is a good idea - when people in Teremok or Blinok start to remember you because you always order blin with ham, cheese and dangerous amounts of black pepper, they start to cook your blin as soon as they see you coming. And they smile when they recognise you, which can make life just that little bit brigther.
r.moody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Well, I've just got here, so I've got all the being taken hostage, and making friends with barmaids (?!) to come! So far, it's quiet, but once I've made friends, etc, it'll be wonderful Smile Love the architecture and the fact that everywhere's open on a Sunday, unlike Spain, love being able to dress up in a big, long coat and not feel silly, and love the fact that Russian people seem to have a sweet tooth, so there's just about every variety of pastry available, everywhere!

R.
cainB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here just over three weeks and i finding this crazy city a bit intense but a whole lot of fun. Was met by two drunken Americans and one Drunken Russian at the airport and force fed volka on the way to my hotel, it was great. I'm finding Moscow nightlife an experience to say the least but its great never having to worry about being kicked out of a bar. Any ex-pats want to share a beer and talk about thier first months in moscow please get in contact i always want to meet new people.
dajiang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably aware of this site but I wonder how much of the stuff on it you recognise in your daily lives.

www.englishteacherx.com

Brilliant site anyway.
Gotta love those cartoons eh.

Shastliva,

Dajiang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: