Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-interview questionaire...thoughts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kozo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Pre-interview questionaire...thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm considering a job in Taiwan. I've read a lot about the good and the bad, and when I read these questions sent to me by an employer in Kaohsiung...well, it sort of gave me that 'uneasy' feeling. My gut instinct tells me to not even bother answering these, but I want to get your opinion on some of these questions. Some are legit...but others appear "iffy"....

Anyhow, I'm really concerned about questions #2 and #5. I want to tell them "no, i must be paid for ALL my time" but what's the reality of the situation? And what's the legality of being penalized for ending your contract early?

That's it....just curious of what you think about these questions.

Thanks!
KoZo

1. can you accept to teach all age groups including kindergarten? If no, why?

2. if your employer requires you to attend meetings, help to decorate classrooms when holidays come…etc beyond your teaching hours and without pays, can you accept?why?

3. after you arrive in Taiwan, and you find that other teachers get higher salary, bonus or � benefits than you, what will you handle(if you signed the contract already)?

4. if you think that you can’t suit the job, or your employer always complains about your teaching, what will you do?

5. can you accept to pay penalty if you stop the contract? What do you about penalty?

6. how much salary do you expect?
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even worth the band width. I might answer just to satisfy my couriosity.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-interview questionaire...thoughts? Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that this is a school to work for. They are already suggesting that they pay low and ask you to do stuff for them for free. The only way they will treat you with respect is if they pay! That said here are some questions to ask the school.

Substitute X and Y for any numbers that seem appropriate to you. (I've never been to Kaoshiung, so I don't really know the going rate for teachers.)

1. If the school pays late, how much compensation per day will the school pay? If none, why?

2. If the school fails to organise the teacher's working visa and ARC in the first 2 months, then it will pay all costs that the teacher has to pay to get a new two month visa. It will pay NT$20,000 compensation and all costs of arranging a new tourist visa to the teacher if it fails to organise the working visa and ARC in the first 4 months. Do you accept this. If not, why not?

3. If the school pays the teacher by the hour, it should pay a guarented minimum salary of NT$50,000 per month for X teaching hours per month. If the school does not have enough hours then it still has to pay. It is the school's responsibility to make sure there are enough hours for the teacher! Do you accept this? If not why?

4. The teacher will have two days of per week. Do you accept this? if not why?

5. All teaching hours above X per month, will be payed at a rate of Y per hour. Do you accept this? If not, why?

6. During the first 3 months the teacher may terminate the contract by giving one months notice. Do you agree? If not, why?

Put in some numbers and then send them these questions, and see what they say.

Stephen
kozo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's some things to think about! I decided to answer those questions and was then sent a new set of questions. They seemed mostly normal, except for one question that asked what my favorite color was. I'm not sure where that one was going. Anyhow...Stephen, you bring up some good points to consider. Somehow I get the feeling it would piss an employer off if I sent those questions (which is probably the point), but it would be funny to send if I knew I wasn't going to work there. I'm actually going to keep a copy of those questions so I have something to go off of when contract time comes around with "X" school.

I've just realized that this whole job search is a daunting task. After reading so many posts, I've gotten this feeling that every Taiwanese English school is out to get us foreigners. I know this isn't true, but sheesh, I'd love to hear some exceptionally good stories every now and then. Anybody?

KoZo
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kozo wrote:
Now there's some things to think about! I decided to answer those questions and was then sent a new set of questions. They seemed mostly normal, except for one question that asked what my favorite color was. I'm not sure where that one was going. Anyhow...Stephen, you bring up some good points to consider. Somehow I get the feeling it would piss an employer off if I sent those questions (which is probably the point), but it would be funny to send if I knew I wasn't going to work there. I'm actually going to keep a copy of those questions so I have something to go off of when contract time comes around with "X" school.

I've just realized that this whole job search is a daunting task. After reading so many posts, I've gotten this feeling that every Taiwanese English school is out to get us foreigners. I know this isn't true, but sheesh, I'd love to hear some exceptionally good stories every now and then. Anybody?

KoZo

They're not out to get you. It's just how chinese conduct business. I like how they ask you how much you want to earn. This guy could be fun to negotiate with (chinese are great bargainers... I feel envious of you that you get to hash it out with this guy, you'll have a lot of fun doing it). He sounds fair but he knows foreigners.

Jason
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason

I quite agree that the school Kozo has been in contact with would run a mile from the questions I gave, but that school does not sound like one I'd want to work for, and her previous post seemed to suggest that she held similar feelings.

However, many of those questions are worth bringing up in a non-confrontational form. My last employer paid the airfare for a visa run to HK because they couldn't sort out the working visa/ARC quickly enough. My new employer has agreed to do the same if they should fail to sort out my working visa/ARC in 2 months. (It is in my current contract, and I didn't need to ask! I have also heard of other schools doing this.)

Two days off a week is achievable and is provided by many employers, including the one that I've just signed for.

Many contracts have guarenteed hours and minimum salary in them (both my previous and present contract of employment do.)

Overtime rate, again it is in my current contract for work outside working hours (and I didn't have to ask!)

I have some advantages over Kozo which makes it easier to get a job with an employer who will agree to this. Probably, the biggest is that I am here, so it is easier to hunt around. However, if you have the right experience and qualifications, then there is no reason to accept a deal that is not fair to you. Afterall, it takes time and effort to teach well, and your school should give you support and treat you fairly in return. (The biggest problem in teaching here is the number of foreigners who come over and let themselves be f**ked around in the name of a cultural experience!)

If you settle for a second rate deal, then that is what you get. Remember, it is all a negotiation.
Cheers
Stephen
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason

I quite agree that the school Kozo has been in contact with would run a mile from the questions I gave, but that school does not sound like one I'd want to work for, and her previous post seemed to suggest that she held similar feelings.

However, many of those questions are worth bringing up in a non-confrontational form. My last employer paid the airfare for a visa run to HK because they couldn't sort out the working visa/ARC quickly enough. My new employer has agreed to do the same if they should fail to sort out my working visa/ARC in 2 months. (It is in my current contract, and I didn't need to ask! I have also heard of other schools doing this.)

Two days off a week is achievable and is provided by many employers, including the one that I've just signed for.

Many contracts have guarenteed hours and minimum salary in them (both my previous and present contract of employment do.)

Overtime rate, again it is in my current contract for work outside working hours (and I didn't have to ask!)

I have some advantages over Kozo which makes it easier to get a job with an employer who will agree to this. Probably, the biggest is that I am here, so it is easier to hunt around. However, if you have the right experience and qualifications, then there is no reason to accept a deal that is not fair to you. Afterall, it takes time and effort to teach well, and your school should give you support and treat you fairly in return. (The biggest problem in teaching here is the number of foreigners who come over and let themselves be f**ked around in the name of a cultural experience!)

If you settle for a second rate deal, then that is what you get. Remember, it is all a negotiation.
Cheers
Stephen
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason

Just out of curiosity what passes as a good wage in Kaoshiung and what is average? 35 hours a week seems a lot for NT$60,000 a month.

Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: