Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British Institute of Training and Education, Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: The British Institute of Training and Education, Kuwait Reply with quote

Recently advertised on Dave's. A search reveals no further details by any of us. Anyone already there or know conditions?
younggeorge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there in 1996-98 and they were very good to me - salary a shade above the local competition, accommodation much better and general environment both friendly and professional.

Since then, though, I think the management has changed and they've had a few problems noted on Dave's. I don't know if those posts are still available: try a Search.
ntropy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your personal perspective.

I have tried a search and nothing comes up. You can't recall any specifics, can you?
younggeorge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much. I know one of my former colleagues sued them but we're not in touch so I don't know why. I also remember there was talk of them merging with another organisation but I don't remember who and I don't know if it actually happened!

The Director when I was there was Rosemary Lloyd, whom I found to be very fair and flexible. I tried Googling her name and she's still listed as "British Institute of Training and Education, Kuwait" on a conference agenda from May 2004. If she's still in charge, I'd say it could still be an OK place to work but so much depends on who else is involved that I couldn't swear to it.

If you're in touch with Rosemary Lloyd, ask her to put you in touch with some current employees - I think she'd do that. Good luck!
ntropy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shukram gazillan.

Gazillion of shukrams.
Signor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: BITE, Kuwait Reply with quote

I worked there too - as far as I know (and it's difficult to track changes as most people have moved on), the company has changed hands a few times and has had different sponsors.

I didn't think the company was still functioning as BITE and I heard that Rosemary Lloyd was working in management training in one of the subsidiaries of Sultan Centre.

I hadn't heard of them being sued but I would heed the words of the previous poster and check who the management team are.

Edit/update - check the HRD website - BITE seemed to have been absorbed by this company -

http://www.hrd-int.com/about_management.aspx
ntropy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link! Thank you. Just goes to show Dave's members have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Thank you for sharing.
younggeorge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well discovered, Signor. It looks pretty solid. When all's said and done, it's a private institute and subject to the usual market forces that act on those institutes, but from my own experience of the way they used to be and from the look of the current website, I'd say it was one of the better examples.
Signor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: New news Reply with quote

Just had an unexpected email from a former colleague - again he's moved on but he tells me that there is now a female Kuwaiti Manager at BITE.

Maurice and Brad have left and I'm not sure if Rosemary Lloyd has any real connection with BITE now.

Anyone out there with more recent news?
riyadh1974

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: BITE Reply with quote

I also saw the add. I worked there for several years. I have to say if I were ever to return to Kuwait to work, I'd go back to them. Although they have Kuwaiti management now, the British Managers (Rosemary, John)were great to get on with and if there were any gripes, it was always problems from the Kuwaiti Management side - usually not understanding the work undertaken by teachers. But hey, this is the Gulf, and I defy anybody to find me a place that is perfect!

The atmosphere in the staff room was always great and my time there was, on the whole, a happy one. Suzanne, who is now head of English, is wonderfully supportive, and totally committed to her work and teachers. The admin staff were also very friendly. Both her and John, the Director of Studies, were always supportive of staff and I think they made working at BITE a nice experience. I was sad to leave.

In terms of salary I don't know what's on offer, but Kuwait has never been a great payer and still isn't - look at Kuwait University's pathetic salaries and their insistence on MA's! I think any salary offered by BITE will be fare and competitive and the bonus system is good.

If you're a single male and can stick Saudi, then here you'll find better conditions than anywhere in the Gulf... but we're not talking about Saudi!

I think socially Kuwait has a lot of potential, great shopping and, on a Gulf level, is quite free-thinking. At least you can go to Starbucks, shopping centres etc without having to be segragated into 'Singles' and 'family', as in Saudi!

Personally, (and I have no vested interest in this) I think BITE is the best of the bunch.
Signor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

I think riyadh1974 is correct - when I was there, everyone working at the main centre in Shaab was very contented. The throughput of staff at the external contract was another matter.

If the job you have seen is working at the main centre - then go for it. Otherwise, find out where you are working and then do some investigations.
Signor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

The following link gives an update on BITE's present sponsor.

http://www.nrec.com.kw/about_history.aspx
rowntree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have just acquired a new Head of Business English who was fired from a school next to an Institute in Hawalli.............
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am passing through Kuwait in the next few weeks and a friend asked me to call into her old employer, BITE as she wants to get in touch with a few former colleagues.

Can anyone tell me if they're still around? I've been in Kuwait before and I think they are in Shaab.

Interestingly, I looked up the links in previous posts and noticed one of their senior managers is updating their qualifications using the University of Phoenix. Think someone should tell her?

http://hubpages.com/hub/University-of-Phoenix-Fraud--Huge-Scam

I'll mention it if I find the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: